Chapter One

The rain pours down on the pavement. I walk under the awnings of the buildings on the streets of Chicago. The cars next to me roar and splash muddy water onto my torn white dress. My black converse splash in puddles on the sidewalks, and my brown, wavy hair is straight and dripping water from the sudden down pour.

I'm Maddie. 16 years old. Living alone on the streets since my 13th birthday. My parents abandoned me. They were great parents. They cared for me. It was completely unexpected when I was dropped off in Atlanta, about an hour away from my house. I decided not to hold on or wait. There's a good chance they did come back for me. But I figured, 'If they didn't want me, why stay?'

I'm skinny, short, with long, wavy brown hair. I have hazel eyes that change to green when I cry. I figured that out when my parents left me. I've cried so much I can hardly cry anymore. My eyes are hardly ever hazel.

I find an empty park bench with a little shelter from the rain and lie down on it. I guess I fell asleep because I woke up to the sound of tornado sirens.

I recognized the noise from when I was 10. There was a tornado, something I had never heard of. My parents shoved me, their only child, into a crawl space. They crawled in with me after making sure I was in and comfortable. I really wasn't comfortable but my mom was so nervous she was crying. I didn't want to get her any more flustered.

I watch as people run around screaming. They run in and out of doors. Me? I just stand there taking everything in. Before I knew it I heard the thunder roll. It shook the ground and I almost fall over. Then a flash of lightning hits a street lamp. The sirens get louder and the rain gets harder.

I am the only one standing outside. Well, except for a storm chaser car that goes speeding past me in the middle of the street. I realize I need to take shelter but there's nothing around. I decide to sit on the steps of a houses front porch. The house looks new. It's gorgeous. Creme walls, a brown roof, and too many windows to count. I imagine living in a house this big. It seems impossible. My old house was a fair size, but nothing like this.

Suddenly I hear a scream. Then a loud bang. The tornado. I hold my face in my palms. I feel someone staring at me. I turn around and see a boy. He looked about 17 years old. He had short brown hair that was spiked up a bit in the front. For a split second his chocolate brown eyes met my green eyes. Then he walked away.