Chapter Nine

I wake up in the morning on my own. Gina turned my alarm off last night. I decide to shower before getting ready. Once I'm freshened up, I pick out a creme sweater with a cute pattern, black leggings, a coral scarf, tall brown boots, and dream catcher earrings that match the scarf. I curl my hair with a wand and put on some makeup making sure to cover up my black eye.

I go downstairs and find Cameron at the table scarfing down pancakes.

"Hi." I smile

He immediately looks up and his eyes widen. "You look really nice."

"Thanks, you do too." I smile and bite down on my lip.

Cameron is wearing blue, light washed jeans, a grey, blue long sleeved tee shirt, grey vans, and a beanie.

I see a stack of pancakes and sit down next to Cameron.

"So, what are we gonna do today?" I ask as I cut through the stack.

He swallows his food before answering. "I thought we could go into the city, I could show you around, maybe."

"That sounds like fun!" I say smiling. He smiles when I do.

Once we finish eating and clearing our plates, Cameron grabs his wallet and keys before we get into his car.

We listen to music the whole ride there. We hardly talk. We finally pull into a parking garage. I look over the edge of the floor we are on and see the city. "Wow." Is all I can say. Cameron laughs while grabbing my arm to pull me towards the elevator. We make it out of the tunnel of cars and into the city. My. eyes are wide as I look at the skyscrapers that tower above us.

"Where are we going?" I ask

"First we're gonna visit the Willis Tower" He points at the tallest building that I can see.

"Really!" I cheer. He nods in response and leads me through the busy crowd of workers. Once we get in the building we buy our tickets and wait in line for the elevators.

"I'm so excited!" I say

He smiles. "I'm glad. This is the tallest building in Chicago." He hands me a stick of gum. "You'll need this so your ears don't pop"

We step into the huge elevator that quickly fills up with people. It is silent besides the educational video playing on a screen above us and the flapping of gum.

"Ding!" Goes the elevator before coming to a stop. People begin to exit immediately as the doors open. Cameron takes my hand and leads me out. I could stay this way forever, I think to myself. We exit the elevator and what I see next is amazing. Windows line the walls and I can see the whole city. We start walking and Cameron releases my grip. He stops to read some history on the walls and I walk over to a gift shop and see t-shirts and teddy bears and Legos all representing the Willis Tower. I walk back over to Cameron.

"Come on" I pull him through the crowd and towards the windows. I see a telescope and put my eye against it but only see black.

"I think it's broken" I frown. Cameron laughs and pulls a quarter from his pocket. "You need to give it 25 cents. Nothing's free you know." He winks at me. I blush and insert the quarter into the machine. I look through the telescope and see towers in the distance and the crystal blue water of Lake Michigan sparkling below us.

"Cameron!" I pull away. "You need to see this. It's beautiful!" He puts his eye against the telescope. When he pulls away he smiles.

"Isn't it amazing!" I exclaim.

"I've seen better."

"Oh yeah? Like what?" I say and smirk.

"You" He says before pulling me towards another attraction. Butterflies swirl around in my stomach. I don't even know what to say to him. I just smile and follow him.

He stops at a glass panel in the wall. It stretches out just enough that you can walk on it and only be supported by the glass. My eyes widen as I watch people pose on it.

"It's the skydeck." He says.

"Is that even safe?" I ask

"Yeah, it's fine! Don't worry. Your safe with me." He says. He hands a man his iPhone and asks him to take a picture. I take a deep breath before stepping into the enclosed platform.

"Smile!" The man says. I do as he says. Cameron wraps his arm around my waist. I hear the click as he takes the picture. He hands the phone back to Cameron. I turn around and take in the sight. It's even prettier than when I looked through the telescope.

"Now this has to be the prettiest thing you've ever seen." I say

"Eh..." He replies.

I elbow him in the rib. "Stop it"

"Stop what?" He asks.

"Lying" I say

"I'm not" He says and takes my hand.

We step off the platform and make our way out.