Chapter Seventeen

I wake up in the morning and put my straight brown hair in a side braid. I apply foundation, mascara, eyeshadow, and a small amount of eyeliner. I decide to wear a mint tank top with a large bow across it, ripped jeans, a brown faux leather jacket, and brown faux leather boots with three small bows going up the side. I also wear mint bow earrings and a mint ring.

I run downstairs with my bag and grab a granola bar from the pantry. I run to the bus and sit down next to Lucas.

"Hey" I say out of breath.

"Hey" He smiles. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, it just took a while to get ready today I guess." I say trying to catch my breath.

"Well, it paid off." He says with a smile. "You look really great today." The words cause butterflies to once again fill my stomach.

"Thank you!" I say and bite my lip. "You do too." I say. I look at him in his navy blue t-shirt, navy blue and red flannel, and jeans. Every day I realize how attractive he is.

Ugh. I push the thoughts from my head and try to start a conversation. "So, what's new?" I ask shyly.

What's new? Who am I, my mother? Er, old mother I guess.

"Nothing really. How about you?"

"Same" I say even though there's a lot that's new in my life. I just moved here, met a new family, learned so much about Cameron, I'm starting to develop feelings for two guys, and today the whole school is going to find out who I really am.

"Oh." He says. We sit there in silence until it's time to get off the bus.

"Um, do you wanna do something this friday?" He asks while were walking.

"Sure." I say. I realize that he just asked me out. I smile to myself excitedly.

I get to my class and sit down next to Claire.

Every period before lunch is spent thinking either about what I'm going to say at lunch and the date I'm going on with Lucas. If he'll still want to go out after what I confess today.

Lunch comes quickly and Cameron meets me at my locker. We go to the cafeteria. I grab a few pieces of chicken and scoop a bit of potato salad on a plate but don't eat any of it.

I sit at the table and bite my nails while Cameron also worries. All day people have been giving him strange and dirty looks. I feel horrible for him.

When there is about 10 minutes until lunch is over, Cameron tells me I should clear things up. I agree and step onto the table.

Right as I stand up wearily, Cameron grabs my hand and I lower to a squat.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" He asks nervously.

I nod and let out a breath of air. He gives me a reassuring smile. "Thank you" He says and squeezes my hand. I stand back up and call for everyone's attention.

"Hi, guys" I wave awkwardly.
"Well I'm sure you all heard about Cameron yesterday." A few people nod in unison. "Well I just want you to know a few things." I'm relieved when people stay quiet. "Um, well I-I'm not staying with Cameron because my parents are on a business trip. I was..." I swallow hard. "Homeless." People stare at me strangely and one person gasps. I try my hardest not to send a comment back. "My parents abandoned me three years ago. I was alone until Cameron saw me and was nice enough to take me in. So he may or may not have accidentally caused a life ending car accident, but he took a complete, helpless stranger into his home out of the kindness of his heart. I hope you guys rethink your respect towards him." I take a deep breath before sitting down again.

Shortly after, the bell rings and Cameron encloses me in a tight hug. I feel amazing. Like a huge weight just lifted off my shoulders.

"Thank you so much." He whispers in my ear and it gives me goosebumps. He kisses my head and releases me from his grip.

The rest of the day, people stare at me weird and I prepare myself for a long rest of the week.