Chapter Twenty

I walk up to my room and lock the door. I decide to shower before curling my hair, putting on makeup, and changing into a short floral dress that I pair with a cropped, short sleeve denim jacket, and brown ankle boots.

When I go downstairs, I find Cameron and Gina talking secretively. I decide to ignore it and wait in the family room.

Shortly after, the doorbell rings. I run to it but it's hard in my heels. I trip and Cameron beats me to the door.

"So, Lucas." Cameron says when he opens the door.

I run to the door. "Hi Lucas. You look nice" I say and smile.

"So do you." He returns the smile.

Cameron rolls his eyes. Is he jealous?

"Bye Cam, bye Gina." I yell.

"Be home by 11:00." Cameron yells.

I get into Lucas' car as he holds the door open for me.

"Thank you." I nod.

When he gets in the car I ask, "So, where are we going?"

"Out to dinner." He smiles as he begins driving.

• • •

We arrive at Olive Garden and we have a nice dinner. We talk about everything from school to our past, personal lives.

When we're done with dinner we get back in his car. Instead of taking me home, he turns in another direction.

"Where are we going?" I ask wearily.

"A party" He shrugs calmly.

"A party?" I ask nervously.

"Yeah, Taylor told me that she heard Cameron say you really wanted to go to a party."

Of course, Taylor was behind it all. She would do anything to hurt me.

"You know she hates me, right?"

"Well, Yeah, but she seemed really sincere about it. I wanted to make you happy." He says and smiles warmly "We don't have to go if you don't want to."

My hands start sweating as my knees knock. He did this to make me happy. I should go. But Taylor is probably planning something to hurt me.

"We can go." I try to hide the weariness in my voice. "Th-Thanks for thinking about me."

He pulls up to a large house. Actually large is an understatement. I hear music playing loudly and see tons of lights. Even though it's a cold March night, the party is huge. Lucas informs me that we are at Jared Dirk's house, a player on the football team.

I walk into the house and see tons of people. It's so crowded I can barely move. I squeeze through the crowd with Lucas. We go to an open spot and dance for a little while.

I try to enjoy myself but I just can't. It's almost impossible to miss Taylor in the crowd. Her icy blue eyes glare at me. Whenever our eyes meet she smirks at me and I know she is planning to attack me like a Jaguar about to pounce on its prey.

When I can't take it anymore, I tell Lucas I have to use the bathroom. I find it and pull out my phone. I dial Cameron's number. It rings once and he picks up.

"Is everything okay?" He asks.

"No. I'm at Jared Dirk's house and Taylor's here. I think she's planning something. Can you pick me up?" I say quickly.

"I'm on my way." He says before I hang up.

I run out of the bathroom and try to make my way to Lucas. I'm stopped by Taylor and her friends who have obviously been drinking.

"Hey Maddie!" She says loudly. "You shouldn't be here" She whispers as a follow up.

"I-I" A huge knot forms in my throat.

"Can't talk?" She says and smiles. "Well you don't need to. All I'm doing is getting a little revenge." She says as two muscular guys step next to her.

My heart starts pounding.

"Go!" She says as if she just declared the start of a race.

One of the men throw a punch in my gut. I shout in pain. Right as the other gets ready to follow, Cameron grabs my arm and pulls me back.

"Nice, Taylor, Nice. He says quietly.

Taylor try's to get words out but she obviously can't.

Cameron pulls me away. When we get outside, I hug Cameron tighter than I ever have and just cry.

"You were right." I cry into his chest. "Thank you so much."