Chapter Twenty-One

I wake up at 10:00 the next morning. My eyes are puffy and I feel dirty so I shower. I change into sweats from Pink and a Pink sweatshirt. I throw my hair in a messy bun and put on mascara.

I go downstairs and see balloons and a few streamers. Cameron and Gina sit at the table with presents across the whole thing. A plate of pancakes, eggs, and bacon sit in my spot.

"Happy Birthday!" They exclaim.

"Thank you guys! You didn't need to do anything." I am shocked that they remembered when I didn't even remember.

"Yes we did." Gina smiles.

I sit down in my seat and Cameron lights candles in my pancakes while he and Gina sing Happy Birthday to me.

When it's time to blow out the candles, I'm not sure what to wish for. I have everything I would've ever wished for. A loving and caring family, a roof over my head, food on the table, and two good friends.

I tell them the same thing before I blow out my candles. I eat my filling breakfast in minutes.

When I'm done they tell me to open my presents. I start with the card. There is a long note to me signed both Gina and Cameron.

I also get a few movies, clothes, gift cards, and more.

"Thank you! You didn't need to do anything for me." I say again and hug both Cameron and Gina.

"That's not it." Cameron says. He pulls out a large yellow envelope.

I rip it open and pull out a ton of papers.

I skim them and see that they're planning on adopting me. Tears of joy fill my eyes.

"You didn't..." Is all I mange to get out.

Gina is also crying. "We've been trying to get this for a while now."

"Thank you so, so much." I say and hug both of them again, tighter than before. I am finally apart of a real family again.

It's been exactly 4 years today. It's usually a hard time for me but today, I couldn't be happier.

I sign the papers that I need to and then suggest that we watch a few of the movies that I received. They agree and we sit down with tons of blankets and pillows to watch them.

In the middle of the third movie, the doorbell rings.

Cameron gets the door. "Mom!" He yells when he opens it.

Gina runs to the door and I follow quietly. I see a police officer at the door.

"We were informed you are adopting Madeline Sealing." The officer says.

"Yes, I have the papers." Gina says shakily.

She hands the officer the papers and they study them.

"I see you don't have her parents signatures."

"Because we don't have any way to track them." Cameron says.

"Well they actually were informed that you found their daughter and they want her back."

"They abandoned me!" I cut in.

"You must be Madeline."

"Maddie." I say.

"I'm sorry. You will have to come with us, Maddie."

"What? Why!" I say frantically.

"She can't go back to her parents!" Cameron says sharply.

"Yes, she can." The police officer says calmly. "Her parents are flying out to meet us at the station. They're leaving in a few hours."