Chapter Eighteen

I get to school on Wednesday with Cameron. Everyone stares at me even more today. Some people roll their eyes or laugh when they see I arrive with Cameron.

"Don't let them bother you." Cameron says, almost reading my mind.

I thought about it a lot last night and decided that I shouldn't care what people think. I told everyone the truth willingly, to help Cameron and for me, to get the truth off my chest.

I go to my first class and see Claire sitting in a different spot than usual. I go to talk to her but she turns away. Before I get the chance to say anything, my teacher makes me go to my seat. In all my classes with Claire, she ignores me.

At lunch she sits at the other side of the cafeteria but I find her and sit down next to her. She rolls her eyes and ignores me but still, I talk to her.

"What's wrong?" She shakes her head. "Are you mad at me?" She rolls her eyes. " Why won't you talk to me?" She turns to me and glares at me.

"My problem is that you lied to me. I can't trust you anymore."

"Wh-What? I thought we were friends?" I say.

She sighs almost dramatically and gets up. I decide not to follow her.

The rest of the day, no one talks to me. I feel so lonely. I realize that no one ever did talk to me. I always had Claire.

I get home with Cameron, do my homework, eat a small amount of dinner, and go to sleep. I need to get my mind off of everything.

• • •

I wake up in the morning and follow my normal routine. I wear sweats, a t-shirt, and put my hair in a messy bun. I'm in such a tired mood today.

I go downstairs and Cameron is waiting at the table with a plate of waffles.

I eat them quickly then we go to school. I arrive and Claire isn't there.

The day is even lonelier than yesterday. The only person that talks to me the whole day is Cameron. I have this empty feeling inside of me. The same feeling I got after I watched The Titanic on my 12th birthday.

The day goes by slowly and when it's finally over, I run to Cameron's car and cry. He finds me there and wraps me in a hug.

"What happened?" He asks.

"No one likes me." I sob into his chest.

"No, no. That's not true" He asks.

"Yes it is." I cry. "I lost my best friend and everyone looks at me like I'm crazy."

"But you have me." He whispers.

I sigh and hug him tighter.

He helps me into his car and we head to the house. I wash my face and go to the living room.

Cameron sits next to me on the couch.

"So, I have a few things I've been wondering about you." He says.

"Oh, Well ask away I guess." I say and laugh.

"Okay um, for starters, What's your favorite color?"

I laugh.

"No I'm serious! I wanna know more about you."

"Okay, It's blue, any shade."

He nods. "How about your favorite food?"

"Well, I love everything Gina makes, but I always loved my moms homemade Chicken Pot Pie."

"And, uh when's your birthday?"

"March 14th"

"This Saturday?" He asks.

"I guess so." I say and shrug.

He nods and smiles to himself.

We talk and go on and on, learning stuff about each other.