Chapter Seven

"Oops." Taylor giggles.

I stare at her makeup filled, smirking face as long as I can before getting tears in my eyes. I try to sit up, but when I do, Taylor laughs and dumps her bowl of Mac-n-Cheese on me.

"Wow Maddie." She says "Are you... Crying?" She says loud enough for everyone to hear.

The cafeteria is completely silent now. Everyone is staring at me. Finally, Cameron comes running to my side to help me up.

"Are you okay?" He asks. I nod. I see Taylor through the corner of my eye. She is bright red with anger.

"Ugh!" She huffs as she throws down her tray and pouts off to her next class.

"Here let me get you to the nurse for a change of clothes." Cameron says kindly.

"The outfit!" I say in the hallway. "Oh no! Your moms gonna be so upset." I say as tears flood my eyes even more.

"No! No it's okay!" He says. I can't tell if he's trying to be nice or actually telling the truth. "Really. Don't worry about it." I smile. "So what happened?" He asks.

"It... Your girlfriend. It was her." He nods right away.

"I figured." He says quietly.

"Do you really like her?" I ask

Cameron sighs, "Ye-" then pauses "No" He looks down in shame. "She's awful."

"Why don't you break up with her?" I ask

He rolls his eyes "Trust me, I've tried." He says.

I look at him confused.

"She's... well threatened me I guess" He says trying to hide his embarrassment.

"What?" I ask surprised.

"She can ruin anyone in this school. She knows everything about everyone." He says and sees my confusion "Her moms the school superintendent and her dad... He's super rich. I'm not sure what he does though." He says.

"What does she know about you?" I ask.

"Stuff I can't even tell you" He says quietly as we reach the nurse's office. "Here it is" Cameron sighs.

'At least it's 7th period' I think to myself. Only two more periods to go. The nurse gives me blue gym sweats and a yellow t-shirt to match school colors. The last two periods drag on. People who know what happened stare at my new clothes and try not to laugh.

Finally, the bell rings and everyone leaves. When we get to the Student Parking Lot Claire grabs my shoulder.

"How are you?" She asks

"I'm fine" I shrug.

"Not anymore... Taylor's coming and she's really mad at you." She says scared. Then I hear two car horns. "That's my ride... Sorry!" She runs off.

Taylor greets me with a dirty look. "Nice to see you... Fatty." She says. Everyone laughs.

A boy who has a crush on her states the obvious and shouts "Because it sounds like Maddie!" He laughs.

"What do you want?" I ask.

"Nothing." She says flipping her hair with her hand.

"Then why do you hate me?"

"Isn't it obvious?!" She says in a high pitched voice. "I don't want you stealing MY Cammy!" She says and I roll my eyes.

Its silent until Cameron walks out.

"What us wrong with you?" I shout. "He's my friend. And he's not YOUR Cameron!" I scream. "He doesn't even like you. He cant break up with you or you will ruin him!" I scream.

She stands there stunned. "You... You..." She holds back tears. "Ugh I hate you!" She yells and punches me in the eye. I throw a punch back into her stomach. She falls backwards and a few strong guys who like her catch her as she hits the ground.

I can feel the crowds stare burning through me. I cant take it anymore. I stand there and cry.

Cameron runs over to me quickly. He gives me a hug.

"We're over!" He yells to Taylor. As he says that she looks like she's gonna pass out. Cameron pulls me into his car.

"What were you thinking? Are you crazy?" He asked as he starts driving.

"I don't know." I respond in shame. "I guess I just learned to stand up for myself." I cry.

He looks at me with worry in his eyes. I cry even harder.

"Please stop crying." He asks. I try my hardest but I can't. He sighs. He parks in his garage and gets out of the car. He comes around on my side and opens the door for me. I get out and he wraps me in a hug. We walk in the front door.

"My moms at work so how about you get cleaned up and when she gets home we can tell her what happened." I nod and go up to my room. I take shower to relax my tense muscles. I get out, wrap myself in a towel and stare in the mirror at my red, blotchy face, and my purple eye. I get dressed in fuzzy pajama pants and a sweatshirt from 'Pink'. I run downstairs and grab a bag of ice from the freezer to put on my eye. I go to my room and fall asleep.