Chapter Five

I woke up the next morning to the sound of my alarm on my white nightstand that Gina set for me the night before. I turn it off and get out of bed. It's my first day of school. I wash up in the bathroom then go to my room to choose an outfit. I choose a black, high waisted, skater skirt to go with a hot pink, cropped top. I also wore some black mini boots. I curl my lifeless hair with a wand I found and put on a bit of makeup sitting on shelves in the bathroom.

I grabbed the black glittery backpack from "Pink" that was in the closet and skipped down the stairs.

"Morning!" I smiled at Cameron and Gina while making the best of the fact that I'm going to a brand new school.

"Good Morni-" Gina stops. She puts her hand to her mouth as she tears up.

"What's Wrong?" I ask concerned.

"It's... It's the outfit."

"I-I can change..." I say quickly while turning around to make my way upstairs.

"No! No. It's okay! It's just that, that outfit was Sarah's favorite." She says

"Oh." I say "Its nice that she has a family that loves and misses her so much. She probably hates being away at college."

"Yep! Yeah college. We all miss each other. Cause she's in college..." Stutters Cameron awkwardly.

Gina bites her lip and nods, holding back tears. Me and Cameron eat our breakfast of home made banana waffles.

"Ready for school?" Cameron asks.

I swallow my food reluctantly. "Not really..." I respond.

"Why?"

"I feel like everyone's gonna make fun of me, You know.. cause I was..." I swallow hard before the word comes out of my mouth. "Homeless."

Cameron's smile evaporates when I say the word. He frowns and honestly, I can't predict his reaction.

"No. No they won't. I'll make sure it doesn't happen. Plus, how would they find out? And I'll make something up about why your staying with me."

"Really?" I ask

"Promise." He smiles at me.

I look into his eyes. He makes me smile. It's not weird that I like him. Right? He's just someone temporarily taking me in. My thoughts confuse me so I shake them away. I need to focus on school.

"Thanks. It means a lot." We stare at each other for a minute until he tells me we should probably get to school. We get up and walk out the door. On our way to my new school. And i'm not even nervous.