Chapter Three

I wake up to the sun shining through my window. The small clock on the nightstand next to my bed tells me it's 12:00 P.M. I sit up run my eyes I step onto the cold hardwood floor. I decide to put my fuzzy socks back on before walking out the door.

When I get downstairs Cameron is watching TV on the couch. He wears a Green polo shirt and white dress pants.

"You're finally up!" He says. "You missed church, but it was probably pretty important for you to sleep. You haven't had a good night's sleep since..."

"I was 13" I say.

His chocolate eyes widen at my response. "What... what happened?" He asks.

I hesitate before speaking "Well it was my 13th birthday. My parents were taking me to a park in Atlanta for a picnic. They dropped me off while they went to park the car. But instead of parking they drove away."

"You didn't go back home?" He asks in awe.

"Nah. I guess I thought 'If they don't want me... well what's the point?' Right?"

"Yeah." He stares at me. I give him a funny look and he looks away.

"Do you want breakfast?" He asks. I nod and we go to the kitchen.

"Breakfast is on the table for you" Gina says as she sees me. I go to the connected room and sit at the table to eat a breakfast of pancakes, fried eggs, and bacon.

I hear the voices in the other room. I can tell they tried to keep quiet but it didn't work.

"She should stay. I mean its so empty just me and you" Says Cameron.

"But isn't that nice? She reminds me of a younger Sarah. I... you know." Says Gina.

"Well she may die out there if we let her go! Just for a little while!" Cameron screams while whispering.

Gina sighs. "Fine"

I smile to myself a little. Cameron really does think about me. Once I finish my breakfast I bring my plate to the kitchen and put it in the sink. Gina smiles at me.

"We're gonna take you to your new school for a small orientation." She says

"Really? I... I'm staying?"

"Of course"

"Well go change. That whole closet upstairs is yours."

"Thank You!" I say eagerly running up the stairs. I change into a cute blue dress that flares out at the waist. I put on my black converse that look new. I see Cameron in the hallway as I walk out of the door.

"Hey!" He says.

"Hi" We smile at each other for a while.

"I wanna hear more about you later." He says

I laugh "Okay"

We walk downstairs and hop into the car. We listen to music all the way to the school. We are greeted by a sign that says Willowbrook Private High School. We pull into the parking lot and see a man in a Black Suit waiting. He gets out and shakes my hand.

"Hello. I'm Principal Green."

"I'm Madelyn." I respond

"Cameron and Miss Dallas will give you a tour around. Okay?" I nod "Well I better get going. I have a meeting to go to. See you around school Madelyn" He says while getting into his red jeep.

We walk into the school and see hallways of lockers and mysterious brown doors. Cameron leads me around and talks about the school. I hardly listen. I just zone out and imagine school. Everyone will make fun of me if they find out I was on the streets. But they won't. I won't let them.