2. Expectations, Fears And Family

Hermione's POV

Me and Harry wandered around Diagon Alley in hopes of finding Y/N.

"He might be in the Quidditch store." Harry said.

We quickly went over to the Quidditch store, looked around, and couldn't find him. We were puzzled to where he could've gone since he didn't seem to be in any of the shops. We wandered around for ten more minutes and was about to give up and return to The Leaky Cauldron when we heard a sound coming from an alleyway.

I looked and Harry who shrugged. I poked my head around the corner and looked down the alleyway, there was Y/N, sitting on the floor, back to the wall. He had his head buried in his hands and looked like he was crying.

Harry stayed by the entrance to the alleyway whilst I walked towards him.

"Y/N...are you ok?" I asked softly.

He looked up and tried to cover up the fact that he had been crying.

"It's just Ron being a git." I said, sitting next to the boy.

"What if he was telling the truth?" Y/N said sadly.

"It's not the truth! Everyone knows that!" I said, moving slightly closer to him.

The next thing I knew, his head was on my shoulder, it made me go red at first, but after a while, I got used to it. I looked up and saw Harry, a smirk on his face as he waved at me and walked off, presumably back to the Weasleys.

Y/N's POV

Hermione's shoulder was, comfortable, to say the least. When I removed my head from her shoulder, I could have sworn I saw a flicker of disappointment on her face.

"Hey 'Mione, can I tell you something?" I asked.

She smiled. "You can tell my anything Y/N."

I sighed. "This whole summer, I've been trying to find out who my real parents are but there doesn't seem to be anything leading me to them."

Hermione seemed to understand why I wanted to find out my real family. I then carried on and I started to tell her all my worries.

"I keep of having nightmares that one day I'll be like him," I said, referring to Voldemort, "I just feel that he's a part of me and that I'm evil like him. There's also these whole new load of expectations I've created for myself, I've been practising like crazy so I can become a better wizard just because I feel like I need to prove that I'm not a Dark wizard like Voldemort."

Hermione listened patiently and when I finished explaining everything she hugged me. "Y/N, I understand you want to find out who your real family are, I'll help you. We can see whether the Hogwarts' library has anything. You don't need to fear that you're anything like him, because I know you're not. Harry knows you're not and deep down, Ron knows you're not as well."

I smiled. "Thanks 'Mione, what would I do without you?"

I then got up and offered and hand to help Hermione up. "It's your birthday soon, I haven't gotten you a present." I said with a guilty expression. "How about we go shopping for your early present."

"You don't have to do that Y/N."

"It's the least I can do after you took the time to talk to me."

We walked around Diagon Alley, from Flourish and Blotts to the magical creature shop. Hermione wanted an owl so I offered to help her pick one. I also got something for Grey as a treat for him.

When we finished at the store, Hermione decided to get a cat named Crookshanks. I paid for her despite her protests.

"Happy early birthday." I smiled as we left the store. "How about some ice cream?"

I pointed to Florean Fortescue's Ice Cream Parlor. Hermione nodded and we got some ice cream, with me paying of course.

"Have you got your books yet?" I asked Hermione, whilst we were eating our ice cream.

She nodded. "There were a lot of books though."

"How many new subjects are you taking?" I said.

"A lot more than you, Arithmancy, Care of Magical Creatures, Divination, The Study of Ancient Runes, Muggle Studies-"

"Muggle studies?" I exclaimed. "But your family are Muggles! You already know all about them."

"But it'll be fascinating to study them from the wizarding point of view," said Hermione earnestly.

"How are you going to fit them all in?" I asked.

Hermione looked around at her surroundings before whispering to me. "Promise you won't tell anyone?"

I nodded, confused about what she meant. Hermione then showed me a golden necklace, the interesting thing was what was on the end of it.

"No way...!" I gasped.

Hermione nodded. "McGonagall got it for me, she had to talk to Ministry and everything but they agreed."

"That's so cool, can I try it!" I asked, sounding like a little child.

"No." Hermione said sternly. "I have McGonagall's trust to use it responsibly."

I sighed. "Alright then."

When we finished our ice cream, we went back to The Leaky Cauldron where Ron still ignored me. He looked at Crookshanks with disgust.

"You bought that monster?" he said, his mouth hanging wide open. If possible, Ron seemed to be in a worse mood.

"I went to the pet store with him," Harry explained, "the cat nearly killed Scabbers."

"He obviously didn't mean to." Hermione said, defending her new pet.

My parents then arrived, with a bag containing all my new books.

"We have to get going, Ministry business." my mother said.

My father turned to me and Issac. "Stay safe, both of you."

My mum then handed me a form. "Here's your Hogsmeade permission form."

"Thanks mum, see you soon." I smiled before hugging her and then my dad.

"Stay safe kiddo." he smiled.