6. Hagrid's Class

Y/N's POV

Right after Divination, we had Transfiguration with McGonagall and she was shocked at how quiet our class was. She was talking about Anamagi and had just turned into a tabby cat and back. There was no applause, which was a first, instead there was silence.

"Really, what has got into you all today?" said Professor McGonagall, staring around at us all. "Not that it matters, but that's the first time my transformation's not got applause from a class."

Everybody's heads turned toward me again, but nobody spoke. Then Hermione raised her hand.

"Please, Professor, we've just had our first Divination class, and we were reading the tea leaves, and-"

"Ah, of course," said Professor McGonagall, suddenly frowning, "there is no need to say any more, Miss Granger. Tell me, which of you will be dying this year?"

Everyone stared at her.

"Me," I said, finally.

"I see," said Professor McGonagall, looking at me with her beady eyes, "then you should know, L/N, that Sybill Trelawney has predicted the death of one student a year since she arrived at this school. None of them has died yet. Seeing death omens is her favourite way of greeting a new class. If it were not for the fact that I never speak ill of my colleagues-" Professor McGonagall broke off. Then she went on, more calmly, "Divination is one of the most imprecise branches of magic. I shall not conceal from you that I have very little patience with it. True Seers are very rare, and Professor Trelawney..."

She stopped again, and then said, in a very matter-of-fact tone. "You look in excellent health to me, L/N, so you will excuse me if I don't let you off homework today. I assure you that if you die, you need not hand it in."

Hermione laughed. I felt a bit better. Not everyone was convinced though.

When the Transfiguration class had finished, we joined the crowd rushing toward the Great Hall for lunch.

Right after lunch, we had Care of Magical Creatures with Hagrid and I was both nervous and excited for Hagrid's lesson.

I was pleased to get out of the castle after lunch. Yesterday's rain had cleared, the sky was a clear, pale grey. Ron and Hermione weren't speaking to each other, they had an argument about Divination at lunch. Me and Harry walked beside them in silence as we went down the sloping lawns to Hagrid's hut on the edge of the Forbidden Forest. It was only when I spotted three familiar backs ahead of us that I realised we must be having these lessons with the Slytherins.

Hagrid was waiting for his class at the door of his hut. He stood in his moleskin overcoat, with Fang at his heels, looking impatient to start.

"C'mon, now, get a move on!" he called as the class approached. "Got a real treat for yeh today! Great lesson comin' up! Everyone here? Right, follow me!"

For one moment, I thought that Hagrid was going to lead us into the forest. However, Hagrid strolled off around the edge of the trees, and five minutes later, we found ourselves outside a kind of paddock. There was nothing in there.

"Everyone gather 'round the fence here!" he called. "That's it, make sure yeh can see, now, firs' thing yeh'll want ter do is open yer books-"

"How?" said the cold voice of Draco Malfoy.

"Eh?" said Hagrid.

"How do we open our books?" Malfoy repeated. He took out his copy of The Monster Book of Monsters, which he had bound shut with a length of rope. Other people took theirs out too, some, like mine, had belted their book shut. Others had crammed them inside tight bags or clamped them together with binder clips.