9. Lupin's Office

Y/N's POV

After Transfiguration, Harry stayed behind to ask McGonagall if he could go to Hogsmeade, as I predicted, she said no.

"There's always the feast," said Ron, in an effort to cheer Harry up, "you know, the Halloween feast, in the evening."

"Yeah," said Harry gloomily, "great."

Nothing anyone said made Harry feel any better about being left behind. I offered to forge Uncle Vernon's signature on the form, but since Harry had already told Professor McGonagall he hadn't had it signed, that was no good. Ron halfheartedly suggested the Invisibility Cloak, but Hermione stamped on that one, reminding Ron what Dumbledore had told them about the Dementors being able to see through them. Percy had what were possibly the worst words of comfort.

"They make a fuss about Hogsmeade, but I assure you, Harry, it's not all it's cracked up to be," he said seriously, "all right, the Sweetshop's rather good, and Zonko's Joke Shop's frankly dangerous, and yes, the Shrieking Shack's always worth a visit, but really, Harry, apart from that, you're not missing anything."

On Halloween morning, we all woke up with the rest and went down to breakfast.

"We'll bring you lots of sweets back from Honeydukes," I said to Harry, looking sorry for him.

"Don't worry about me," said Harry, "I'll see you at the feast. Have a good time."

He accompanied us to the entrance hall, where Filch, the caretaker, was standing inside the front doors, checking off names against a long list, peering suspiciously into every face, and making sure that no one was sneaking out who shouldn't be going. When he got to me he smiled evilly,

"Says here you're not allowed to go." he said.

I looked shocked. "My parents signed my form."

Filch stared at me, he didn't like me after everything I had done. "Well Professor McGonagall says you're not allowed to go."

As if on cue, McGonagall appeared, a solemn expression on her face. "I know you signed your form L/N, but due to certain issues, you cannot go."

"You mean Black?" I said plainly, McGonagall looked shocked but nodded.

"You may be able to go another time, if the circumstances are different," she said before walking off.

Looking crestfallen, I joined Harry and waved Hermione and Ron as they made their way down to Hogsmede.

"What do you want to do?" I asked Harry as we walked back into the school.

He shrugged. "I dunno."

We wandered towards the library, but halfway there we changed our minds, we didn't feel like working. We turned around and came face-to-face with Filch, who had obviously just seen off the last of the Hogsmeade visitors.

"What are you doing?" Filch snarled suspiciously.

"Nothing," I said truthfully.

"Nothing!" spat Filch. "A likely story! Sneaking around are you?"

I ignored him.

"Well, get back to your Common Room where you belong!" snapped Filch, and he stood glaring until we had passed out of sight.

But we didn't go back to the Common Room, we climbed a staircase, thinking vaguely of visiting the Owlery to see Hedwig and Grey, and was walking along another corridor when a voice from inside one of the rooms said. "Harry? Y/N?"

I looked back to see who had spoken and met Professor Lupin, looking out his office door.

"What are you doing?" said Lupin, though in a very different voice from Filch. "Where are Ron and Hermione?"