13. Lupin's Secret

Y/N's POV

When the bell ran to signify the end of our DADA lesson on Hinkypunks, I made my way to the exit with Harry, Ron and Hermione.

"Wait a moment, Y/N," Lupin called, "I'd like a word."

I doubled back and watched Professor Lupin covering the Hinkypunk's box with a cloth.

"I heard about the match," said Lupin, turning back to his desk and starting to pile books into his briefcase, "and I'm sorry about your broomstick. Is there any chance of fixing it?"

"No." I said. "The tree smashed it to bits."

Lupin sighed.

"They planted the Whomping Willow the same year that I arrived at Hogwarts. People used to play a game, trying to get near enough to touch the trunk. In the end, a boy called Davey Gudgeon nearly lost an eye, and we were forbidden to go near it. No broomstick would have a chance."

"Did you hear about the Dementors too?" I said with difficulty.

Lupin looked at me quickly.

"Yes, I did. I don't think any of us have seen Professor Dumbledore that angry. They have been growing restless for some time...furious at his refusal to let them inside the grounds...I suppose they were the reason you fell?"

"Yes," I said. I hesitated, and then the question I had to ask burst from me before I could stop myself, "why? Why do they affect me like that? Am I just-?"

"It has nothing to do with weakness," said Professor Lupin sharply, as though he had read my mind, "the Dementors affect you worse than the others because there are certain horrors in your life that even you may not know yourself."

He paused, before continuing.

"Dementors are among the foulest creatures that walk this earth. They infest the darkest, filthiest places, they glory in decay and despair, they drain peace, hope, and happiness out of the air around them. Even Muggles feel their presence, though they can't see them. Get too near a Dementor and every good feeling, every happy memory will be sucked out of you. If it can, the Dementor will feed on you long enough to reduce you to something like itself, soulless and evil. You'll be left with nothing but the worst experiences of your life. And the worst that happened to you, Y/N, is enough to make anyone fall off their broom. You have nothing to feel ashamed of."

"When they get near me-" I stared at Lupin's desk, "I can hear Voldemort murdering my mum."

Lupin made a sudden motion with his arm as though to grip my shoulder, but thought better of it. There was a moment's silence, I assumed that Lupin knew I was related to Voldemort.

"Why did they have to come to the match?" I asked bitterly.

"They're getting hungry," said Lupin coolly, shutting his briefcase with a snap, "Dumbledore won't let them into the school, so their supply of human prey has dried up, I don't think they could resist the large crowd around the Quidditch field. All that excitement...emotions running high, it was their idea of a feast."

"Azkaban must be terrible," I muttered. Lupin nodded grimly.

"The fortress is set on a tiny island, way out to sea, but they don't need walls and water to keep the prisoners in, not when they're all trapped inside their own heads, incapable of a single cheery thought. Most of them go mad within weeks."

"But Sirius Black escaped from them," I said slowly, "he got away..."

"Yes," said Lupin, "Black must have found a way to fight them. I wouldn't have believed it possible...Dementors are supposed to drain a wizard of his powers if he is left with them too long..."

"You made that Dementor on the train back off," I said suddenly.

"There are, certain defences one can use," said Lupin, "but there was only one Dementor on the train. The more there are, the more difficult it becomes to resist."

"What defences?" I said at once. "Can you teach me?"

"I don't pretend to be an expert at fighting Dementors, Y/N, quite the contrary..."

"But if the Dementors come to another Quidditch match, I need to be able to fight them-"

Lupin looked into my determined face, hesitated, then said. "Well...all right. I'll try and help. But it'll have to wait until next term, I'm afraid. I have a lot to do before the holidays. I chose a very inconvenient time to fall ill."

At what he said, I decided finally to take a risk and ask whether or not, he was a werewolf.

"Sir...I have a question." I said, trembling at what I was going to ask him.

Lupin looked at me with interest. "Go ahead Y/N."

I took a deep breath before asking. "A-are you a werewolf sir?"

His face immediately became pale, as he looked at me before replying as calmly as he could. "How did you know?"

"Snape's lesson and the time Snape brought the Potion in, Wolfsbane isn't it? And you also fall ill near each full moon." I stated, relieved he didn't get angry.

"You definitely got your mother's brain." Lupin said. "Your real mother of course."

My eyes were wide. "You knew my real mother?"

He nodded. "I knew your father too."

I found it hard to say anything, but I managed. "C-can you tell me anything?"

Lupin shook his head sadly. "I'm afraid I have orders not to. I wish I could tell you."

I nodded, I was slightly angry but I knew there must've been a good reason. "Of course Professor, I won't let anyone know of your condition."

I looked at Lupin, feeling sorry for what he had to endure. "I'll be on my way, thank you for offering the lessons."

He nodded, thankful that I wouldn't tell anyone. "Thank you Y/N, Harry can come if he wants to." He added, referring to the Dementors.

I nodded and then I left.