28. Lupin's Story

Y/N's POV

"You're both mental." I said.

"Ridiculous!" said Hermione faintly.

"Peter Pettigrew's dead!" said Harry. "He killed him twelve years ago!" He pointed at Black.

"I meant to," he growled, "but little Peter got the better of me...not this time, though!" he then lunged towards the rat in Ron's hand.

"Sirius, NO!" Lupin yelled, launching himself forwards and dragging Black away from Ron again. "WAIT! You can't do it just like that, they need to understand, we've got to explain-"

"We can explain afterwards!" snarled Black, trying to throw Lupin off.

"You owe, Harry, Y/N, all of them the truth!" said Lupin.

Black stopped struggling. "All right, then, tell them whatever you like. But make it quick, Remus. I want to commit the murder I was imprisoned for..."

"You're going to hear me out," Lupin said, "just keep a tight hold on Peter while you listen Ron."

"HE'S NOT PETER, HE'S SCABBERS!" Ron yelled, trying to force the rat back into his front pocket.

"There were witnesses who saw Pettigrew die," I said, "a whole street full of them..."

"They didn't see what they thought they saw!" said Black savagely.

"Everyone thought Sirius killed Peter," said Lupin, nodding, "I believed it myself, until I saw the map tonight. Because the Marauder's map never lies. Peter's alive. Ron's holding him."

I was confused, I looked at Harry and Ron who both looked equally confused.

Then Hermione spoke, in a trembling voice. "But Professor Lupin, Scabbers can't be Pettigrew, it just can't be true, you know it can't."

"Why can't it be true?" Lupin said calmly.

"Because, because people would know if Peter Pettigrew had been an Animagus. We did Animagi in class with Professor McGonagall. And I looked them up when I did my homework, the Ministry of Magic keeps tabs on witches and wizards who can become animals, there's a register showing what animal they become, I went and looked Professor McGonagall up on the register, and there have been only seven Animagi this century, and Pettigrew's name wasn't on the list."

"Right again, Hermione!" Lupin laughed. "But the Ministry never knew that here used to be four unregistered Animagi running around Hogwarts."

"If you're going to tell them the story, get a move on, Remus," said Black.

"Be patient! Wait Sirius!" said Lupin.

"I'VE DONE MY WAITING! TWELVE YEARS OF IT, IN AZKABAN."

"All right, I'll be quick, but you'll need to help me, Sirius," said Lupin, "I only know how it began."

There was a creak at the door, Lupin walked over and checked the door and the landing.

"It's haunted." Ron said plainly.

"It's not," said Lupin, "the Shrieking Shack was never haunted. The screams and howls the villagers used to hear were made by me."

He pushed his graying hair out of his eyes. "That's where all of this starts, with me becoming a werewolf. None of this could have happened if I hadn't been bitter, or foolish."

He looked tired. Ron started to interrupt, but Hermione, said. "Shh!" she was watching Lupin very intently.

"I was a very small boy when I received the bite. My parents tried everything, but in those days there was no cure. The Potion that Professor Snape has been making for me is a very recent discovery. It makes me safe, you see. As long as I take it in the week preceding the full moon, I keep my mind when I transform, I'm able to curl up in my office, a harmless wolf, and wait for the moon to wane again.