21. Gryffindor V Ravenclaw

Y/N's POV

Ever since the supposed murder of Scabbers, it seemed like Ron and Hermione would never be friends again. Since Harry took Ron's side, I wanted to take Hermione's, but for the sake of my friendship with the two boys, I remained neutral.

Madam Hooch, who was still overseeing Gryffindor practices to keep an eye on me, was just as impressed with the Firebolt as everyone else had been. She took it in her hands before takeoff and gave us the benefit of her professional opinion.

"Look at the balance on it! If the Nimbus series has a fault, it's a slight list to the tail end, you often find they develop a drag after a few years. They've updated the handle too, a bit slimmer than the Cleansweeps, reminds me of the old Silver Arrows, a pity they've stopped making them. I learned to fly on one, and a very fine old broom it was too..."

She continued for some time, until Wood said. "Er-Madam Hooch? Is it okay if Y/N has the Firebolt back? We need to practice..."

"Oh, right. Here you are, then, L/N," said Madam Hooch.

She left the field to sit in the stands, the Gryffindor team then gathered around Wood for our last instructions before tomorrow's game.

"Y/N, I've just found out who Ravenclaw is playing as seeker. It's Cho Chang. She's a fourth year, and she's pretty good, I really hoped she wouldn't be fit, she's had some problems with injuries." Wood showed his displeasure that Cho Chang had made a full recovery, then said. "On the other hand, she rides a Comet Two Sixty, which is going to look like a joke next to the Firebolt." he gave my broom a look of admiration, then said. "Okay, everyone, let's go-"

And at long last, I mounted my Firebolt, and kicked off from the ground.

It was better than I had ever dreamed. The Firebolt turned with the lightest touch, it seemed to obey my thoughts rather than my grip, it sped across the field at such speed that the stadium turned into a green and grey blur.

"Y/N, I'm letting the Snitch out!" Wood called.

I turned and raced a Bludger toward the goalposts, I beat it easily, then I saw the Snitch dart out from behind Wood, and within ten seconds had caught it tightly in my hand.

The team cheered madly. I let the Snitch go again, gave it a minute's head start, then went after it, I spotted it lurking near Issac's knee, looped him easily, and caught it again.

It was the best practice ever. The team, inspired by the presence of the Firebolt in their midst, performed their best moves faultlessly, and by the time they hit the ground again, Wood didn't have a single criticism to make, which, as George Weasley pointed out, was a first.

"I can't see what's going to stop us tomorrow!" said Wood. "Not unless... Y/N, you've sorted out your Dementor problem, haven't you?"

"Yeah," I said, thinking of my slightly successful Patronus.

"The Dementors won't turn up again, Oliver. Dumbledore'd go ballistic," said Fred confidently.

"Well, let's hope not," said Wood, "anyway, good work, everyone."

I went down to breakfast the next morning with the rest of the boys in my dormitory, all of whom seemed to think the Firebolt deserved a sort of guard of honour. As I entered the Great Hall, heads turned in the direction of the Firebolt, and there was a good deal of excited muttering. I saw, with enormous satisfaction, that the Slytherin team were all looking thunderstruck.

"Sure you can manage riding that broom, L/N?" said a cold, drawling voice.

Malfoy had arrived for a closer look, Crabbe and Goyle right behind him.