III. Runaway Wedding Of The Century

A/N: Remember to vote, comment, and follow for updates!

———
III. Runaway Wedding Of The Century

THREE MONTHS EARLIER:

I'm standing in front of the floor to ceiling mirror in the dressing room, putting on the final touches for my big day. I'm finally getting married.

I've been looking forward to this day for so long. Bex helps zip up the back of my dress and smiles at me in the mirror.

"You look so beautiful Hev! Bryan is going to have his hands all over you tonight," she grins, widening her eyes knowingly.

"You really think so?" I ask nervously.

I really hope so, it's been a few weeks since we've done anything. Bryan suggested waiting until we were married to do anything again. He said he took that idea from when Bex and my brother did it.

"I know so babe," she reassures me and giggles with my mom.

"Baby, I'm so happy for you, my little girl is finally getting married. I've been looking forward to this day for so long. Now both my babies have moved on and are starting their new lives with their special someone and starting families," she beams and I notice her eyes glistening as she's trying to hold back her emotional tears.

"Oh mama," I nearly sob as I wrap my arms around her.

There's a knock on the door and my brother walks in. He's dressed handsomely and I can't help but smile as he takes me in. It must be time for the ceremony to start and he's here to collect me. I wouldn't have any other man in the world walk me down the aisle and give me away to my future husband.

"Wow Hev, you look beautiful," he smile at me and then I notice it falter just slightly.

He looks over at his wife and tilts his head at her, grabbing her attention. When they both walk out into the hallway and I watch him whisper something to her, I begin to feel this impending doom. Something isn't right, something isn't right at all. I'm just about to ask what's wrong when Bex puts her hand to her mouth and looks over at me. I can tell she's trying to hold back her tears.

"Nathan, what's going on?" I ask as I step towards the door. He quickly walks in with Bex and closes the door behind him. Grabbing my hand he leads me to a chair that's sitting in front of the counter where I'd just finished my make-up.

"Hev, there's something I need to tell you but I'm not sure how I'm going to say it," he frowns and runs his fingers through his hair, kneeling in front of me.

Bex sits in the chair next to me and grabs my other hand. When I look at her, she has a sympathetic small smile on her face. The kind someone gives you when they've got bad news to tell you.

"Just spit it out Nate. This anxiety is killing me," I laugh nervously.

The next words my brother speaks I would've never assumed he'd say. I would've thought the band was running behind, the flowers were the wrong ones, the catering company didn't order enough food, something other than what he tells me.

"Hev, Bryan won't be making it today," Nate looks up at me with a frown and gently squeezes my hand.

What?

"Like he won't be able to because something came up and we will have to do it another day?" I ask hopeful that he didn't do what my subconscious is suggesting he did.

"No sweetie, he won't be making it at all. He called the wedding off. Shit Heather I'm so sorry," I notice his eyes watering. My big brother is shedding a tear for his little sister's shattering heart.

I feel my world start to collapse as the realization of what's going on, finally hits me. I got dumped, on my wedding day. Even worse, is I don't even know why.

Last night he was acting like everything was okay. He never once mentioned of being unhappy or unsure. This has to be a mistake, it just has to be.

I hear my mom begin to sob behind me and I instantly feel like I failed her somehow. Especially after the talk she just gave me about finally moving on with my significant other and starting a family. I didn't even make it out of the dressing room, let alone down the aisle.

Usually when you hear about these kind of things, it's the woman being the runaway bride, not the groom running away.

Was our relationship that bad that he felt like he had to leave? Especially now? Why wait until now? If he was so unsure, why did he ask me to marry him?

It's not like we were together shortly and he asked on a whim. No, we've been together for four years, he had more than enough time to realize what he wanted deep down.

I feel hurt, anger, betrayal, hopeless, all wrapped into one and I can't hold back my emotions anymore. I shake my head, still in denial, with tears running down my face. Nate reaches up to wipe the tears and that's when I finally let go.

Leaning forward, I lay my forehead on my brother's shoulder and cry. No, wail in pain at my heart shattering into pieces all around us. He wraps his arms around me and gently rubs my back, attempting to soothe me.

When I finally sit up and look over at my best friend and maid of honor, who's currently crying for me, I break down again, leaning into her. She holds me in her arms and gently rocks me, like a mother would her hurt child. My mom comes up to us and sits in the chair on the other side of me as she reaches over and wraps her arms around the two of us.

We all three hold onto one another as I mourn over having my heart broken on what would've been the most important day of my life.

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.