XXXVIII. Well, I Wasn't Expecting That

A/N: Near the end lovelies.
Vote, Comment, and Follow <3

———
XXXVIII. Well, I Wasn't Expecting That

HEATHER

I'm in the middle of finishing up dinner for tonight when I notice what time it is. Carter should've already been home a couple hours ago. Where the hell is he? Maybe he got caught up at work?

I haven't gotten anything from my alert app on my phone about a major incident that would require the fire department. He hasn't texted me either to let me know if something happened that required him coming home late. I decide to take a deep breath and calm myself down before I let my thoughts go crazy.

He's not Bryan. He's not doing anything shady. He wouldn't do that to you. My subconscious reminds me and I slowly, very slowly start to calm down.

Just as I'm finishing cleaning up the kitchen, the door slides open and Carter walks in. He looks up at me with a smile and when he walks over to me to give me a kiss, I can tell something is up. He's acting nervous while avoiding my gaze.

When he begins to put his stuff on the entry table, he runs his hand through his hair nervously. I watch him curiously, wondering what's going on. I've never seen him like this before. Usually he's very open about what's on his mind. That's one of the many things I love about Carter, no bullshit.

"Carter, is everything okay?" I finally ask and he looks up at me with wide eyes.

"Yeah everything's fine," he smiles sheepishly but it doesn't reach his eyes.

"Uh huh," I squint my eyes at him and bite the inside of my bottom lip to stop from letting my emotions show, not buying it. He's not being honest with me and I'm not in the mood to play games right now. I'm going to blame it on my emotions lately for my lack of patience. What happened the other day with Hillary really got to me.

I push away from the counter and walk towards the bathroom. I'm in the mood to take a shower and go to bed. I'm not even hungry now. Carter can enjoy dinner alone. Before I make it to the bathroom though, Carter grabs my hand and pulls me into his arms.

"Where are you going? Aren't you going to eat?" he asks as he looks into my eyes intently.

"Not really hungry now," I avoid his gaze and move away from his embrace. I cross my arms over my chest and slowly back towards the bathroom door.

"Something is wrong, what's going on Hev? You've been acting different lately and I haven't said anything because I was waiting for you to come out and tell me. But, you need to talk to me Heather. What's wrong?" he pleads with me but I'm not in the mood to talk about my feelings right now. I just want to take a shower and go to bed, alone. How can he ask me to be honest and tell him the truth when he's clearly hiding something from me?

"I don't want to talk about it right now Carter. I just want to take a shower and go to bed," I roll my eyes and turn towards the door.

"Damnit Heather, talk to me. Is this about what happened with the girl from high school? Does this have to do with feeling like it's too late? Like you failed in life because you're not married or have kids like everyone else from high school?" he asks with aggravation. I turn on my heels and glare up at him. I'm assuming he talked to Bex about this.