XXVI. I Love You Heather Daniels

A/N: Remember to vote, comment, and follow for updates!

———
XXVI. I Love You Heather Daniels

"My God Nate no I didn't! I haven't even had a drink in three days!" I nearly shout appalled as my big brother glares down at me.

"I bought a bottle today after running into, well more like being cornered, by Bryan at Phillip's market. I planned on drinking again but before I took a sip, I poured it out and threw away the bottle. It's probably still in the parking lot of Phillip's. Why would you even think I had been?" I sob at my brothers accusations. I would think the one person in this world that would always have my back through thick and thin would be my brother. Why would he even slightly believe these accusations about me?

"Because they found multiple empty Jack Daniel bottles in your car Heather! There was even some that still had alcohol in them. This doesn't look good Heather. If you were drinking and driving, you will get your license taken away. You could even lose your doctorate as a psychologist! Not to mention it would stain your record and good name," he exasperates. He's thoroughly upset with me, but for once, I didn't do anything wrong. I think back to when I got in the car earlier and I don't remember ever seeing any kind of bottle in my car, let alone an empty liquor one.

"Nathan I didn't do anything wrong! Those bottles aren't mine! I never would've left a bottle in the car where you could easily see it. I would've hid it and you know that. You know how ashamed I was for you guys to see me in that state. I was so bad I even had Carter take me to his place so mom wouldn't have seen me while I was heavily intoxicated!" I begin to cry and I just want him to believe me. The tears are coming out uncontrollably and Bex wraps her arm around me to calm me down.

"It's okay sweetie, calm down. We believe you okay? There has to be an explanation for this," she glares up at Nate and he huffs as he takes a deep breath before storming out the door.

Bex smiles at me and gives me a hug before getting off the bed to follow Nate. They never fight and I don't want them to start now because of this. I look at my mom sitting in the chair and she has a look of disappointment on her face. Why is no one believing me? The one time I put the bottle down and decide not to drink my problems away, this happens.

A blonde nurse in pink scrubs walks in with the materials to do the alcohol screening test, immediately snapping a pair of latex gloves onto her hands. I feel humiliated as I let her take my blood and swab my mouth for traces of alcohol and drugs in my system. I understand why he's having it done but it's not fair that he doesn't believe me. It'd be different if he said he did but still needed to do it to keep me out of trouble. The more I think about it, the more I wonder how those bottles got into my car. I know I didn't leave any in my car, I would've never in a million years. I'm was still in the embarrassment stage of my addiction before I quit cold turkey. When she's done and places the medical tape over the cotton ball on the crease of my elbow, my mom excuses herself with a sigh to go check on my brother and Bex, leaving me alone.

A couple minutes later, there's a soft knock on the door and I bend my knees up to my chest to rest my forehead on them in shame. I don't want to hear Nate scold me again. I'm so upset with him, with everyone for not believing me.

"Heather? Are you okay?" I hear a familiar deep voice and when I look up, Carter is standing there with a concerned look on his face. When he sees the tears coming down my face, he rushes over and sits on the edge of the bed next to me.