VIII. An Unhealthy Relationship With Jack, Oh Well

A/N: Remember to vote, comment, and follow for updates!

———
VIII. An Unhealthy Relationship With Jack, Oh Well

Today has been one hell of a day. Just another typical day for Heather Daniels.

I hate this. I hate feeling like this all the time. Like this impending doom that never gives way. I'm constantly anxious and on edge, waiting for the next bad thing to happen.

While I'm at Philip's market, I make my way down the aisle that's currently holding my favorite drink of choice lately. I grab the biggest bottle of Jack Daniels they have on the shelf and hold it in my hands. This should help wash away all the pain I'm feeling in my chest right now.

As I glide my finger tips over the label, the sound of laughter pulls me from my trance. I look up and I spot a trio of fire fighters walking by at the end of the aisle. I shrug it off and turn around to walk the other way. As soon as I make it out of the aisle, I'm too busy looking down at the ground to notice I'm about to be run into by someone's shopping cart.

Luckily the cart stops before hitting me and I manage to step out of the way.

"Hey asshole watch where the hell you're walking," I snap and as soon as I look up at the person pushing it, I instantly feel bad.

Carter is standing there looking down at me with a shocked expression. His eyes are wide and he's got a hint of a smirk on his face.

"Well hello to you too Heather," he grins.

"Shit, I'm sorry Carter," I blush and look up at him through my lashes.

Carter smiles down at me while he leans over the handle of his cart. I move closer to him and tuck my hair behind my ear.

"It's quite alright. I've been called much worse," he grins and looks me over.

He bites his bottom lip as if he likes what he sees. I'm not wearing anything special but a forest green sundress, boots, and a thin black cardigan. I find myself looking his appearance over as he's wearing his navy blue Dickies slacks and button down short sleeve shirt. The usual attire for a fire fighter when they're not in their fire suit. God he looks so mouthwatering hot.

Carter notices my wandering eyes and looks at me expectantly. I giggle lightly under my breath and tap my finger tips across the edge of his cart. I step closer to him and he watches me intently with an amused smile on his handsome face.

"But it doesn't make it okay. So I'm really sorry Carter," I pout up at him and he tilts his head at me with a smile. My goodness his smile just does something to me that I can't explain.

Carter moves from his place at the cart and stands directly in front of me. He gently puts his hand on mine and squeezes. I look down at his hand over mine and my breath catches.

He then gently tucks his other hand under my chin and tilts my head up to look at him. He's leaning in so close to me now I can feel his breath on me. It's intoxicating.

"It's fine Heather. I'm a big boy. I can handle being called an asshole. Especially by a pretty lady like yourself," he speaks softly with a deeper voice than I've heard before. Granted the only other time I've talked with him was the other day after the incident at Miller's. His deep, seductive voice alone nearly brings me to my knees. I gulp and feel a spark between us that I've never felt with anyone else.

There's an abrupt fit of laughter coming from the next aisle over that pulls me out of the trance I'm in. I step back from Carter and clear my throat. He huffs in irritation and stands back up straight.

"Hey Allen, where the hell did you go?" a taller guy with loose curly hair comes walking around the corner and I recognize him as one of the three guys I saw earlier. The other two come walking up behind him.

"I'm over here Morgan," Carter's voice booms and it makes me flinch. He notices and looks down at me curiously. When he gives me an apologetic smile, I give him a small smile back.

"Oh hey, sorry man, didn't know you were talking to such a gorgeous girl," Morgan apologizes with a tip of his baseball cap that has 'CHFD' stitched across it.

"Damn girl where's the party at?" one of the other guys jokes as he points to the bottle in my hand.

"Oh no party tonight. I'm riding solo on this one," I grimace with a smile.

"Having a rough day?" he wonders as he puts his hand on the edge of the cart.

"More like a really rough week," I squint my eyes with a tilt of my head.

"Hey, I know all about that. Maybe we should go share the bottle together and talk about our problems," he laughs and when he looks up behind me his expression changes.

"Or maybe not," he smiles shyly at me, taking a step back.

I turn my head and Carter is glaring at him with annoyance. I can't help but giggle under my breath. It catches Carters attention and he quickly grins down at me.

"Well, we better get going. We'll meet you at the truck Allen," Morgan pats Carter's arm with a chuckle. Once they walk away I instantly burst into laughter.

Carter looks down at me with confusion but I sense a hint of amusement in his stare. A genuine smile comes across his face at the sound of my laughter.

"What's so funny?" he asks curiously with a tilt of his head.

"Oh I just can't help it. You didn't have to get all grumpy. I could've let his offer down easily all on my own. It wouldn't have been the first time I had a guy doing the walk of shame after being turned down," I giggle.

"Oh is that so?" he asks curiously with a chuckle and moves even closer to me.

He puts his hand gently on my cheek and caresses it. Carter leans in closely and I'm sure he's going to try and kiss me. For some odd reason, I really want him to, more than anything.

"Would I be one of those guys? Are you going to make me do the long walk of shame Heather?" his gaze becomes serious and he looks down at me with his intense green eyes.

His brow furrows a bit. Is he hoping I say 'no?' Does he like me? Do I even like him? Who am I kidding? Of course I do.

Just as I'm about to tell him that I'd never let him do the walk of shame, that he'd end up walking out of here with his head held high and a smile on his face, Bryan and his new girlfriend come walking down the main aisle that leads to the registers.

I freeze in my spot as I watch my ex-fiancé laugh and smile with his arm around her waist. I really can't help envying her for the life she has with him now. Why couldn't that have been me?

For just a second, I had forgotten why I came here tonight. I'd forgotten about the bottle that I'm now holding onto for dear life. I'd forgotten about my troubles and the bad day I was having. All thanks to the man who's standing in front of me now, looking at me with concern at my sudden changed expression. He turns his body to look at where I'm staring at in a semi-catatonic state. His brow furrows again as he looks back and forth between us.

Carter Allen may be able to do a lot of things for me. Like put a smile on my face when I'm sad. Or make me laugh when there's absolutely no reason to be happy. But there's something I don't think even he could do.

Mend my broken heart.

Not when I'm still pining for the man who no longer wants me. I silently wonder, as Bryan walks closer and has now noticed me, if I'll ever get over him? Will I ever be able to finally move on? And if so, with whom?