Fishy Babies

"Could you please keep your hands off the glass? You'll scare the mermaids and then they won't come out for anyone to see." Bending over a little to speak to the little girl softly, he watched her quickly take her hands off the thick surface. Smiling, he glanced into the tank, knowing that it was a little early for any of them to be out of their caves just yet. Thinking quickly, he smiled. It wouldn't be too bad to let the girl come into the back and help him.

"Why don't you ask your parents if you can come with me to the back. I need to give them food before more people come in." Watching the girl's eyes light up, he watched her run off in a flash, coming back in a moment pulling her parents along behind her. Speaking quickly with both adults, he got their permission to take the girl into the back provided that he got a picture of her and one of the mermaids. Taking the little girl by the hand, he smiled as he unlocked the door to the back with his badge and led her up the stairs. Making sure she took off her shoes and washed her hands before getting to the opening at the top.

"Hold this for a few moments, I need to grab something." Grabbing a bottle from a shelf in the back, he moved to the edge of the water. Submerging his empty hand in the cool water, he watched as a red tail came into view, a second, smaller red tail hitting the view. Smiling as he watched the other two mer exit the cave system, he saw as the little girl couldn't keep her eyes off the four. Pulling the bucket closer to him, he grabbed a fish from the container and held it out to the little girl who squealed as one of the older mermen took the fish from her. Laughing softly, he managed to get a picture of the pink tailed mer thanking the girl.

After all were fed and the extra fish were put away, he smiled as the larger of the two red tailed mer peeked his head out of the water on his other side furthest from the little girl. Running a few fingers through the soaked hair and brushing the medium brown hair back out of the merman's face, he smiled as he felt the vibrations from a silent purr.

"It's okay Tord, there's no need to hide behind me." Laughing softly he watched as the little girl tried to look at the shyer mer. He could feel as his arm was grabbed, Tord nuzzling his face into the skin. This wasn't by any means new, the merman had been doing this since he arrived at the aquarium with his friends and little sister. But the frequency of all the affection had gone up quite a bit over the last few months, only ever happening while he was on duty. Feeling a few light pricks to his skin, he rolled his eyes as he pulled his arm away from the sharp teeth.

"I'm not a chew toy Tord. If she introduces herself to you will you stop being so bashful?" Waiting for a few moments, he got an answer before prompting the girl sitting next to him. Getting the introduction seemed to let the mer relax a little more, crossing his arms and resting against the lip of the tank enclosure. After a while, she needed to be taken back to her parents. Tord was the one who initiated the hug, raising himself from the water more so his little friend wouldn't accidentally fall into the tank. While walking back to the door, he felt his hand being tugged on, the girl stopping in her place.

"Is he okay?" Raising an eyebrow at her question, he knelt down, the stairs not really helping. She looked so worried, but he couldn't tell why.

"He's perfectly fine kiddo, why do you ask?" She fidgeted where she stood, obviously not believing what he said.

"His belly looks weird." Oh, so that's what this is all about. Trying his best to keep from turning red in the face, he tried to think of how to explain it properly.

"Well, not many people know this so you need to be quiet about it. But his belly looks weird because he's got babies in there and in a few more weeks we'll be moving him into a private tank so he can have them." Smiling a little, he watched the girl's expression change in moderate understanding. There was no way he was going to tell the child how the merman got pregnant, but at least she wasn't thinking that he was sick. Getting her back to her parents as well as sending the picture to them. It'd be a nice memory for them.