Chapter Fourteen

Adrian's POV

"Ah, you're here. Took you long enough." The girl standing in front of our door said. "My name is Maya. I need to talk to you, Adrian."

What? Me? Why?

    "Hold on right there. We don't know you and I'm not letting Adrian talk to some stranger that showed up at our door." Kellie told her and took a step, to stand in front of me.

    "Ah, Kellie, I presume. Why don't we go inside, so I can explain." She said, moving from the door.

Kellie was hesitant at first, then I nudge her with my elbow. She sighed and went to open the door. We entered and Kellie closed the door behind us. Kellie went to sit on the couch, but was watching the girl with a suspicious look.

    "Spill it stranger. What do you need to talk to Adrian about." I moved into the kitchen to get some water.

   "Adrian." The girl said, turning to me. "As I said before, my name is Maya. I'm from Maldovia."

Maldovia? I stiffen at the mention of the country.

   "Who are you?" Kellie said, getting up off the couch and coming to stand beside me.

   "I'm Leo's best friend. I'm the one who helped him get here in New York."

What? Leo talked about a best friend that he had, back home. Which I thought was Colorado, but well, you know. He never mentioned names or showed pictures.

    "What do you want?" I finally spoke up.

    "I wanted to talk to you, see how you're doing." Maya told me.

   "Really? That's what you came all the way to New York to do. Check on him. Why did you really come here?"

    "I really did come to check on you, Adrian. I haven't spoken to Leo since he came back to Maldovia and I can guess neither of you have spoken to him either." Maya told us.

I looked down and shifted my weight from my right leg to the left.

    "From your lack of response, it's true. That has everything to do with his father, the King. That I guess you know too, based on your reaction. I have kept in contact with his sister and she said that their father is keeping round the clock watch on Leo. He can't leave without someone with him and he can't talk to anyone without his father's permission."

What Maya was telling me, I cringe at that. It sounds like a prison.

    "Yes, it's awful. That's what he was running from, amongst other things. Leo is a free spirit. He loves his country, I won't deny that, but he doesn't want to rule it. It's not for him and we all know that, except his father."

     "What can we do about that? It's his life. That's what he was born to do." Kellie said.

    "You really think he would be happy there. People think, oh he's going to be a king, he should be happy. No, he hates that he has to do this. His life here, that's what makes him happy. He told me so much, how you guys are like one the best things to happen to him in a long time. He loves it here. He loves you guys, especially you Adrian. You make him very happy and he needs you." Maya said turning towards me. She looked me straight in the eyes. "You're the best thing to happen to him. He talked about you a lot and I mean a lot."

I broke eye contact. Looked down at my hands.

So what? He left me. He lied to me. I could care less what he want or need.

Are you sure about that?

Yes, I hate him.

Do you really?

Stop contradicting everything I'm saying, stupid subconsciousness.

     "What can I do? Huh? I don't fully understand what's going here and to be honest I don't want to. My life was perfectly fine, before he came into it. I was right the first time. I knew I shouldn't have trusted him. Everything he told me was a lie. His whole life. How can I believe anything he tells me now. Huh?" I told her.

I wasn't angry. I was just confused. Why should I care about him? With him gone, I can go back to my life. I don't need to wake up to worry about anyone, but me or Kellie. Like it was before. I was okay before.

Are you sure? Aren't you going to miss the times you hang out together. The times he made you laugh. The movies you watched together cuddling on his couch. The late night phone calls, when you can't sleep. When he stayed up with you talking, even though you knew he was very sleepy. He wouldn't leave even if you tell him to. The kisses you share together, hugs. Are you sure, you aren't going to miss those?

I sighed, to stop myself from crying. I can't start again. I finally got my emotions under control. I can't fall back into that place again. Not over him, not over a liar.

    "He lied yes, I understand. He had to if he truly wanted to get away from his past. The life that wasn't for him. If he showed up announcing his true identify, that wouldn't be getting away. He would still be trapped. Well that didn't work out well either. He's back to where he was in the beginning. Back to a life he doesn't want. His real life is here, with you two." Maya told us.

    "Why are you doing this? You said that you are his best friend. Didn't you miss him? He was so far away. You have him back now. Why are you here?" Kellie asked.

     "Yes, I'm his best friend. That's why I'm here. I want the best for him. I want him happy. Anything he decides I'm with him completely." She finally said as she went to sit on the couch. "I need to do something. As his friend, I can't watch him do things he doesn't want to. We made a pact when we were younger. We promise to always be there for each other and help when we need it. He's done so much for me. It's my turn."

     "What are we supposed to do? This is not something we can just wing it at. He's a prince, soon to be king. He has responsibilities. We can't just take him away from that." Kellie said. I haven't said anything yet. I don't even know what to say.

    "Yes I know. I have a plan, I think. I need to talk to Leo. To see what we can do." Maya said. "That's why, I need Adrian to come back to Maldovia with me."

    "What?!" Both Kellie and I said at the same time.

    "Come back with you? Oh no. He's not going anywhere. We have school, for one."

    "You get a break in like two days. He can come with me." Maya said. How did she know this? It doesn't matter.

Me? Go to Maldovia. To do what? Help Leo. Why would I? I told myself I would forget about him. Why would I want to help him?

Maybe, because you know that he doesn't want that life. You saw the way he stood up his father. The only reason he went back was because of his mother's illness. Also you need him too.

Do I need him? Is it worth it? I could get hurt again. I don't want to get hurt again. Not by him. That would ruin me. What should I do?

    "Oh please. I'm not letting him go."

     "This is Adrian's choice, not yours. He grown enough to make it. Adrian, he needs you. Help me, help him. Please."

    "Won't you sh—"

    "I'll go. I'll come back with you. I don't know why I want to, but maybe I will find my answers there. Also I need to talk to Leo too." I told Maya.

    "Adrian, you can't be serious." I looked at Kellie. She must have seen something on my face, because she sighed. "Fine, but I'm coming with you. It's not everyday you get to save a prince, right?"

    "Great. We'll leave in two days." Maya told us and then she left the apartment.

What have I gotten myself into….. again?

*************************
A/N: Okay so they are off to Maldovia. What will happen when they get there. Please continue reading, there is more in store.

How are you liking the story so far? Comment and vote to let me know.

Till next time

—flirtatiousbae