Chapter Twenty

I'm so Sorry for the late update. The first update of February. Yay!

Please enjoy.
*****************

Leo's POV

Why does everything has to be so hard? Why can't things be simple. I'm so tired of planning and maneuvering around obstacles around every corner, just to be happy. It's exhausting.

I sighed as I sat up in my bed. It took just a few seconds, before everything from the yesterday events come back to the forefront of my mind. It was good, up until I remember something that turned the smile on my face to a frown and the pain in my chest to return.

Flashback

    "Princess Ivory?"

The person in front of me smiled at me. Her smile was so bright and usually infectious, but in this moment, I felt dread rather than happiness.

     "Hi." She said and the next thing I was pulled into a hug. My hands moved on their own, like an automatic response. They wrapped themselves around her in a loose hug. "You've grown a little taller since the last time I've seen you." She pulled away, causing my hands to fall back to my side. She still had her hands on both my shoulders. She smiled at me. She's so pretty, you can't deny that. From her bright chestnut hair to her light green eyes with hazel hues to the small freckles on her nose down to her beautiful shaped cupids bow lips, covered in her favorite pink lipstick. How can anyone not see the how beautiful she is? For me on the other hand. I have always seen her as another sister, a close friend and sometimes, like now, an obstacle.

     "Ivory?" I said. She laughed at my confused state.

     "Is that all you have to say to me? We haven't seen each other in two years."

She was right, we haven't seen each other for two years. She stopped coming to Maldovia to visit, because she was busy with her studies.

    "I'm sorry, pardon my manners. I'm just a little shocked to see you here. I didn't know you were coming." I told her. Her face converted into a confused expression, her eyes shifted to something behind me. When they returned to me, the expression was gone.

    "Yeah, well, it was unexpected. I wanted to see you again." He gave me her signature smile.

    "Ah, yes. It's good to see you."

We heard someone cleared their throat from behind me. I turned to face my father once more.

    "Well since you both have greeted each other. Let's talk about the more important things. Your engagement." My father said.

I knew this would come. The moment I saw Ivory, I knew my father was up to something. I looked over at Ivory, she was looking at me too. I couldn't decipher her expression. My father motioned for us to take a seat. We did, but I was as stiff as a board. The tension and the anxiety wrapped around me and threatened to strangle me where I sat.

    "Let me get to the gist of it. It will be announced three days from now that you guys will be engaged to be married. Then we will be go from there." I sat there shocked once more.

    "What?" I finally mustered up the courage to speak. "I thought we still had another year, before we announce our engagement."  I saw Ivory nod beside me.

    "Yes, that was the original plan, but in the light of some recent events." He gaze shifted to me. "We have to do some rearranging. Now if you don't have anymore questions, which you shouldn't, I have important work to do." He said in a dismissive tone.

I got up out of my seat and so did Ivory. I turned and exited the room, without a single word to anyone. I retreated to my room.

End of Flashback

When I came to my room last night, I haven't left since. Thea came to see me, but I turned her away. I knew it saddened her, but I'm not in the mood to speak with anyone. Even Christopher came to me.

I let out a deep sigh. It's in times like this that I missed New York the most. I heard a knock on my door.

    "I don't want to see anyone right now. So please go away." I said.

    "Prince Leonard. Queen Emilia asked for you in her room." It was Collun. I heard nothing after that.

I got up off my bed. I have to go see my mother. Even though I'm reluctant to see anyone, I feel like I need to talk to her. She always made me feel better. I guess it's a motherly thing. I made my was to my mother's room. I knocked.

    "Come in." I opened the door. "Ah Leonard. Come sit with me." She was sitting on a sofa, she was reading a book, then she set it down.

    "Hello, mother. Is something wrong?" I sat beside her. She shook her head.

     "Not at all." She turned her body more to me. "I wanted to know how you are doing." She grabbed my hand.

    "I don't know really." I told her honestly.

    ""I understand. When I heard what your father did, I didn't have enough time to inform you, before you were summoned to his office."

     "It's okay mother. It's not like it would have changed the outcome." I told her. I sighed. "It's just like you said. I tried to get away and I feared for a time I had forgotten. I told you I didn't, but truthfully I did. It felt so good to think about something else, to be somewhere else."

She squeezed my hand. When she didn't speak, it's like she knew I had more to say. I continued.

   "I felt more of myself there that I ever did here. I love you all, don't get me wrong, but I had something that I never had here."

    "You had freedom." She said. I turned to her. She smiled at me. "I know you Leonard. I know all my children." I could feel tear threatening to fall from my eyes. I moved into a laying position and laid my head on her lap. Her hands went to to brush my hair. "My son. I know how hard this is. Especially with Ivory here now. The engagement moved up."

     "I don't even know how to feel. Angry? Sad? I know it's definitely not happy."

     "What will happen now? What are you going to do about that person back in New York?" I stiffened.

Adrian. What will happen now? Between us? I have to tell him. I have to, I can't lie to him anymore.

    "I don't know." I said, sounding defeated.

     "You know what has to happen. You know what your father expects from you." She said.

    "Is that what you expect from me too?" I asked her. I turned my head to look up at her.

    "All I want for you, for all my children, is for them to be happy." She brushed her fingers across my cheek. I smiled at her.

I guess it's time to face reality. I sat up and got to my feet.

     "Thank you mother. Talking to you always made me feel better. I know what I have to do now."

     "I glad I could help. I know you'll do the right thing." I nodded at her statement.

Yes, this is the right thing to do, isn't it?

***********************
A/N: Well now we know who Princess Ivory is. What do you think will happen next? What is Leo going to do?

Please vote and comment.

Till next time

—flirtatiousbae