Chapter One

When you first move into a new town, everything is intimidating. From the kid next door, to the mail man that talks too much. Making friends is one of the top things on that list. It was something you were in no hurry to do whatsoever.

Before anyone makes the assumption that you didn't want friends, let's note that you'd made plenty of effort to do so. Still, every time you tried to hang out with someone in your last city, they turned out to be just another bully. Getting away from your hometown meant getting away from those types of people... However, it also meant going into unknown territory, where there was more than likely mean girl/boy territory. You were by no means a feminine girl. Not even close. You were closer to a boy than you were a your assigned gender, and your old school shunned you for it. You would always dress like a boy, talk trash like a boy, and even play baseball like a boy. Heck, you would cut you hair short so you could tuck it up in your hat. Someone that didn't know better could have easily mistaken you for a boy any day. And they did, all the damn time. You were fine with that, infact, you rather liked it.

Your name is Elzwerner Mack, but everyone called you Mack because they thought it suited you better. You weren't complaining, you'd actually grown rather fond of the nickname you'd been given. Let's rephrase that, your dad called you Mack more than anyone, and the name just stuck. You were really close to your dad, and he practically raised you on his own because your mom was traveling for work all the time. He taught you how to play ball, and he made you into the best hitter of your grade. No one ever let you play on a team because you were a girl, but you sure as hell never played like one. It was always rather stupid in your mind to keep gorls away from sports, given that they can often be just as athletic, ans sometimes more devoted than boys.

You always played with you dad, up until the day he died. You were only ten at the time the tragedy struck your family, but you knew he was in a better place, and you'd always have things to remember him by.

It wasn't long after that, when your mom came around more and tried to make you more like a 'young lady', which you deemed completely unnecessarily. It didn't do much good in the end, you always resorted to the way you'd always been. And you wanted to be that way.

Sure, there were times you couldn't handle being so exiled, and wanted to fit in, but you always came out the other side of trying, and you felt bad for compromising yourself in that way. You were fine just how you were, weren't you?

A little after you turned fourteen, your mom made the decision to change jobs and move. You didn't mind that much, as it didn't really change anything for you. You were just glad to be out of where you were. A fresh start, with new people, and a new perspective.

After a few weeks of unpacking boxes, you had your first day of school. You dressed and acted like you always did, and no one really had anything to say about it, so you figured they just didn't care enough, which you were grateful for. Summer vacation was approaching, and you didn't really have time to get to know anyone in school, but you felt more easily accepted there, less stared at and made to be an eyesore. You knew it wouldn't be so bad.

One day after school, you went to the junk yard and picked up some scraps to build a small batting cage in your front yard. It wasn't well built by any means, but you were able to practice hitting, so you didn't really care. You threw up each ball and hit it into the cage, stopping when your bucket of balls was empty. You bent down and started to pick up some balls when you heard footsteps coming up behind you. Funny, you didn't think your mom was home yet.

"You need some help?" There was a voice that came from right behind you, making you turn around quickly and look with wide eyes at the person speaking.

Immediately, you were met with a pair of sparkling dark hazel irises. Damn, those eyes had you staring for an amount of time you'd rather not think about. You'd probably cringe and turn around from embarrassment.

You hesitated for a moment before nodding your head. Your breath was hitched in your throat, and you couldn't speak. The boy in front of you looked to be about fourteen or fifteen. He stood a good few inches taller than you, and had black hair peaking out from under his Dodgers ball cap. Dark hair dark eyes, and what a combo they were.

"I'm Benny by the way," He continued, reaching down to help you pick up your baseballs and put them back in the bucket.

"Hi. Um, my name's Elzwerner, but everyone just calls me Mack." Ot was heartily forced out, all the test of the words you wanted to say dying in your throat when you tried to say them. You tried not to sound too weird, figuring this was your only chance at a new friend intil school restarted in the fall.

His eyes snapped over to yours, and his furrowed brows were an indication that he was probably confused.
"Mack doesn't sound nothin' like Elzwerner," he chided jokingly, and you laughed out, realizing that the introduction was the reason for his sudden curiosity.

"Right, uh... I'm just-" you scratched the back of your neck, stumbling throight eh awkwardness and continuing to gather baseballs that way you don't have to answer right away. "I'm Elzwerner Mack. It's my last name."

Why was that so hard? Were you so ill tuned to human communication? Why was it so horribly awkward to hear yourself talk to him. He must think you're insane, or something.

He nodded and chuckled under his breath, and you couldn't eveb tell yourself why, but your heart fluttered.

After putting the rest of the balls in the bucket, he picked up the bat you'd dropped on the ground and looked at you as if asking permission. You gave him a slight but reassuring nod, watching as he walked over to the batter's box. He took a ball from the bucket and tossed it in the air. The next thing you knew, there was a loud bang that came from your batting cage. Shit, he was good.

You couldn't believe your eyes, he hit the ball so hard, he dented the metal pole that was holding everything together. Your jaw dropped and you shot up, walking over to inspect it.

"Sorry about that," Benny mumbled, dropping the bat and following you to where you stood.

"Don't be, that was amazing. Where'd you learn to bat like that?" your eyes were wide and your eyebrows were raised. You were more than impressed. He could hack it better than anyone in your old city, that's for sure.

"I practice a lot, that's actually why I came over here... Any guy that hits like you should be on a team, and mine only has eight kids, so you could make nine. We play almost every day and we have a lot of fun," He sped out, hoping you would agree. He'd been just as awkward and emdearing that time as you were, and you guessed that maybe it wasn't such a bad thing after all.

"Well, I've never been on a team before, but I think it'd be fun. Where do you guys play?" You didn't mention the whole being a girl thing, you figured he didn't notice, and you were rather keek on keeping it that way. No reason to ruin the moment.

"At the sandlot around the block. I could take you today if you want, the boys are gonna be there soon."

"Alright, just lemme grab my glove."

He nodded as you ran inside your house. You took your time to find your glove, hoping to cool off from that exchange. You'd made a friend, or at least you think you did. Your heart was racing at the speed of light, and you had to take some deep breaths to calm down.

At the moment, there were four thoughts going through your head. Number one, you had just met the most gorgeous boy you've ever seen in your life. Number two, he had asked you to play baseball with his friends. Number three, he thought you were a boy... And four, you were going to do whatever it took to keep it that way, even if it meant you could never look at him that way again.