Chapter 35

Valentine's day started off pretty nice this year. Never had you been able to wake up on the day of lovers in the arms of you own. Last year Benny had to go out of town with his mom for a day, and you were left to spend time with a bunch of other guys who didn't even know you were a girl at the time.

This year seemed all too good to be true, and even though there was still that pained part of your heart from months passed, it was now just a dull ache. You couldn't be any happier to wake up that morning, wrapped in the arms of your best friend and love of your life. He was still sleeping peacefully, and you took the time to admire him as he did. He looked like an angel, which fitted your nickname for him perfectly. His features were so soft when he was asleep. He just looked - for lack of a better word - relaxed.

You noticed how his facial features were changing slightly as he got older, becoming an older Benny. He was still just as beautiful in your mind as the day you met him. Though he didn't completely look like he did a few years ago, his eyes were always the same. Just as they were closed you could even picture them perfectly. His hazel Brown eyes with almost a bit of green in them. You'd never seen eyes like his before, and after you did, you knew you'd never know a more beautiful pair in your life.

His hair was much longer than it used to be, as now he liked growing it out. As much as he would hate you to know this, the main reason why he did was because one time you mentioned to him that you liked it better that way, claiming it felt good to run yours fingers through. After that he told himself he'd never cut it shorter than it already was.

You laid next to him, running your hands through his hair, feeling the dark curls softly between your fingers. He didn't stir as he woke up, but a sweet smile set in on his face. You smiled back at him, even though his own eyes were still closed. You loved waking up in the morning to see his sleepy eyes open for the first time that day. They always looked a little puffy and tired, and only you ever got to see them that way.
As Benny finally opened his eyes and looked into yours, he smiled even wider.

Just the fact that yours was the first face he saw everyday was enough to make him smile, even on the cloudiest of days. He raised his arm from where it rested, sliding up your back and pulling you closer. You nuzzled your face deep into his chest, feeling his arms squeeze you gently. As much as his face changed, his body did also, his once slim and skinny figure filling out into a slightly bulky and muscular one. Playing baseball always gave him some extra muscle, but now that he was older, it just made him even stronger. Benny wasn't the boy you'd fallen in love with anymore. Now he was a young man, and you loved him just the same, or more even, as your love grew for him by the day.

You exhaled softly, breathing in his scent soon after. There was a small groan to leave his lips, and you pulled back to look at him, seeing that he already closed his eyes again. You would have loved to stay in bed with him all day today, but judging by how your grades were doing lately, you couldn't afford to miss anymore days of school. Benny's grades were fine by now, so he really didn't have to worry, but you on the other hand, were wanting to go to a good college, preferably one of the ones that Benny had already been offered scholarships to for baseball.
You gently ran your fingers through his hair again, this time leaning in to kiss him slowly. You moved your lips along with his for a few moments, and in no time, he rolled on top of you, pressing you into the bed with his body. You were by no means complaining, but if he was going to do what you thought he was going to do, he better hurry up so you both weren't late to school.

-

After a good half hour of Benny saying good morning to you, you scrambled to get up and ready for the day ahead of you.

Benny stayed the night at your place last night and so he had to quickly hop from window to window via the tree that had been steadily growing between both houses. You on the other hand wasted no time in getting dressed and ready. It only ever took you a few minutes except for when it came to your hair. You were the only kid that ever greased her hair in your school, and it was just something that you had pride in. The way you would sculpt it with your comb to make it look like all your friends back in Phoenix.