Chapter 3

Gabriel was going through the room service menu for the sixth time when Nathalie stepped out of the bathroom. She was wearing black leggings, a white tank top and a loose grey sweater that exposed her shoulders. Gabriel stared at her, her shoulders were delicate, her legs were long and well-shaped. She was combing her long dark hair. He had never seen her with her hair down, no makeup, all natural. He found her beautiful, she looked much younger without the usual stiffness and formality she always worn.

"Stop staring at her. What is wrong with you?" thought Gabriel looking back into the menu.

Nathalie felt eyes on her, she raised her own to look at Gabriel, focused on the menu. He had put on a white t-shirt and jeans and his hair was a little messy. Nathalie thought that was probably the sexiest image she had of her boss; and then there was the memory of him shirtless, she felt color raising through her cheeks again.

-I was going to order something for you, but then I realized I have no idea what you like- said Gabriel raising his eyes to look at her. – Here- he handed her the menu.

She sat in the armchair in front of her boss as she went through the menu. Gabriel could take a better look at her face, it was the first time he saw the little freckles located over her nose and cheekbones, he observed her long lashes and the perfect heart-shaped lips, now frown as she decided what to order. He liked the way her black hair framed her face; she should wear it like that more often.

She went through it and decided to go with the chicken sandwich and fries. They were both quiet, sitting on the armchairs one in front of the other, each on their respective phones when the power went out.

-This is not happening- said Gabriel. – Great- he dropped his phone with anger on the table.

Nathalie also put down her phone. Signal was still lost, and with the power down there was no Wi-Fi; technically, their phones were dead.

Gabriel laid his head on the back of the chair and closed his eyes, arms crossed over his chest. Nathalie knew her boss, she knew he wasn't asleep. Yet she didn't say anything, there was a silent atmosphere surrounding them. It seemed like an eternity, it was becoming uncomfortable for her, and suddenly, without thinking it, three words broke the silence.

-I like Italian- said Nathalie in a low voice.

-I beg your pardon? – answered Gabriel opening his eyes and looking at her.

-You said you didn't know what I like, well, I like Italian food- claimed Nathalie.

Gabriel sat properly in his chair again, staring at her a little confused. She seemed unexpressive. -I always thought you were more into Asian- said Gabriel after a while.

-I do like Asian, but Italian is my favorite- answered Nathalie – So is yours.

He examined her.

-You know me quite well, you are there next to me every day, but I barely know you.

-It is my job. I prepare your coffee, I plan every menu along the chef, I prepare every hotel for your stay, I plan along Hawkmoth every strike. I am YOUR assistant- said Nathalie.

Gabriel smiled softly.

-Sometimes I get the feeling you are more than just my assistant.

Nathalie blushed.

-Alright let's play a game- proposed Nathalie.

-What game? - he said.

-We will ask each other a question, anything, the other must answer sincerely, no follow-ups allowed until next turn- said Nathalie waiting for a response.

-Okay, you start- said Gabriel.

-What is your favorite color? – she asked

-Red- he answered quickly.

She knew it already, but it was the first question that popped into her mind.

-What is your favorite color? - he asked

-Purple.

Gabriel didn't know.

-What is your favorite music? – she asked

-Classical.

Nathalie had guessed.

-But I do like rock as well – added Gabriel.

Nathalie was surprised, she couldn't imagine her boss listening to AC/DC.

-What is your favorite movie? – he asked.

-The great Gatsby – she answered. -What is your favorite holiday?

Gabriel thought about it for a while.

–Christmas, it was Christmas. It still is, is just with Emilie gone and all, I forgot how much I actually... like Christmas-. Gabriel's gaze darkened up a little and his eyes went from Nathalie to the cup of tea he had in front of him.

-Your turn - she said

-What did you want to be when you grew up? – he asked still a little tense.

-Fighter pilot- she answered quickly.

Gabriel was surprised.

-What, why? – her response had made him forget completely her last question. -Everybody wanted to be a vet, or a dentist, or an astronaut, but fighter pilot?

-Uh-uh, no follow-ups Mr. Agreste, it's the rules. – said Nathalie.

Gabriel smiled and nodded.

-Alright, alright, I'm sorry.

Nathalie smiled too. She accomplished her mission, she made him smile, he seemed like he had overcome that uncomfortable question and was now having fun.

Questions continued, one after another.

-Okay, I'll go back a bit, why did you want to be fighter pilot? – he asked in one of his turns.

-Well, I think it was my dad. I used to watch the Discovery Channel with him before bed. So, I fell asleep listening to the sound of the engines and bombs and stuff. Those guys were real badasses- she answered.

-And why didn't yo... sorry, sorry no follow-ups - said Gabriel

-Oh, I will allow this one, because it's a really funny story- smiled Nathalie. – It was my dad; he was a douche.

Gabriel raised one brow.

She pointed at her frames.

-I have worn glasses since I was 7 years old, you see. So, when I told my dad I wanted to be a fighter pilot he said: "Baby, you will never be a fighter pilot you are blind, they don't accept blind people in the army"- she said imitating his father's voice. She continued – He is a sweet man, he just doesn't know how to express himself, so naturally he broke my heart, my dreams, I was destroyed. You can laugh it is funny now.

Gabriel was trying his hardest not laugh but it was impossible, the way she had told the story made him burst into laughter.

-Ok... yes... he was a douche- he muttered laughing.

She laughed with him. Nathalie was delighted with the sound of his laugh. She had never heard it before, not like his, so natural. It was the sweetest of sounds. Combined with the glow on his dark blue eyes when he laughed, it made him look much younger.

The round of questions restarted after that, every now and then stopping to laugh and tell some anecdotes surrounding the answers.