Chapter 9

Nathalie spent the next two days practicing her new discovered empathy.
She practiced with the mansion's employees and with Adrien. But she was didn't dare of trying it with Gabriel.

She would not always recognize the deep feelings, but it was easy to recognize the superficial ones.

One afternoon Nathalie decided it was time to try, so she brought Gabriel his favorite coffee and some chocolate muffins, Gabriel's favorites, as he told her that night in the hotel.

She knocked softly at his studio door and entered, closing the door behind her.

-Good afternoon, Sir.

-Good afternoon, Nat- answered Gabriel while drawing on a notebook.

-I brought you coffee and some muffins I made myself.

Gabriel raised his head and stared at Nathalie offering him a mug and a chocolate muffin.

"Surprise" she thought.

-You did them for... for me? - he asked

-Well, I just wanted to give you a little surprise. I know you love chocolate muffins, and what a perfect way to accompany them than coffee?

"Surprise plus happiness".

-How did you...?

-You told me that night, remember?

"Happiness and .... wait... I don't recognize this emotion".

-Is everything okay, Sir? - asked Nathalie truly concerned about Gabriel's thoughts and feelings.

Gabriel was going through a river of emotions. He was happy, surprised, and touched. But mostly he felt something deep in his chest. It was the exact same feeling he felt with Nathalie asleep next to him. He needed her close.

Next thing Nathalie knew, Gabriel had stood up from his chair and, taking the mug and the plate from her and putting them on the table, he wrapped her in his strong arms.

-I am, now - he whispered in her ear.

Nathalie froze, but she started to feel a certain warmth, it was rare, not a physical one, that led her to put her arms around him too, and close her eyes.

They stayed like that what it seemed like an eternity. None of both felt like letting go.

-I can't believe you remember all the details of the hotel - Gabriel whispered into Nathalie's ear once more.

-How could I ever forget, Sir?

"There it is, that strange feeling, so... warm".