Chapter 16

Gabriel Agreste entered his house with Nathalie, still transformed in Mayura, in his arms. He quickly took Nathalie to the safest place in his entire house, his bedroom. He knew no one, not even Adrien, would dare to bother his sacred space. 

He locked the door behind him. And slowly placed Nathalie in his bed. Her vitals were so low, almost inexistent. He was afraid of taking the miraculous off her, he thought maybe the strength of it was keeping her alive. He was so scared of taking it off and also taking away her life. So he sat next to her, holding her hand in between his. Nooroo flying around. 

-Master? - he asked in a little voice. 

-Yes, Nooroo? - his eyes still fixed on her beautiful face. 

-Take it off, Master. It is hurting her. Please - begged the little creature. 

-But what if she...? - he didn't even want to say such a word. 

-She won't. 

Gabriel softly and slowly started removing the brooch from her chest. Forcing Nathalie to detransform back into her usual self. Duusu flew around Gabriel, yet this time, in silence. 

-Is she going to be alright? - She asked in a quiet voice, strange for her. 

-I don't know - answered Gabriel with a hard pain in his chest. 

He didn't realize how long he sat there staring at her. He made sure, every now and then, that she was breathing. 

This couldn't be happening. He was an idiot, he had been an idiot, he could have prevented all this. If only he had seen her love for him. If he had stopped her, if only he had kissed her the moment she said she wanted to do this one more time. He was an idiot. And now the life of his beloved Nat hung by a thread. He wasn't going to allow himself another coffin. He wasn't going to accept a life where he wouldn't see her eat a chicken sandwich and drink her usual morning coffee. 

He gently took off her heels. He slowly covered her with a blanket and lay next to her, taking her into his arms. He closed his eyes. And for the first time in years... he prayed.