Chapter 4

They were laughing so hard none of both heard the knocks on the door. The waiter knocked again, harder.

-Food is here Sir- said Nathalie standing up and walking towards the door still laughing.

-I think given the circumstances you can call me Gabriel.

Nathalie froze as she heard his words and turned around to face him.

-Gabriel- she nodded and turned around again to open the door and receive the waiter.

"Gabriel" his name still pounded in his head as it was pronounced by her, his assistant. What was this? Why did he feel like he wanted her to call out his name over and over again? It wasn't the first time she called him by his name, but this intimate atmosphere made it sound delicious from her lips.

-...el? Gabriel?!- Nathalie raised her voice getting him out of his thoughts. -Come on, is going to get cold. Look at this, food came with candles- she said smiling, waving the candles the waiter had given her for the blackout.

Gabriel laughed.

-Give me that, I will light them up- he said. Nathalie handed him the candles and matches.

This whole situation was surreal. He was trapped in a hotel room with his assistant, with which he was about to have dinner under the dim light of the candles. He was getting to know her, getting to know a whole new side of her, hidden under her professional image. Not even as Mayura, she had let herself open up like that. And for the very first time in, what felt like ages, he was having fun.

They continued along with the game, bursting in laughter again as they had dinner. None of both realized how minutes turned into hours, how day let pass to night.

...

-And I swear Nat, it was so funny because Jagged had no idea where we were - said Gabriel finishing a funny anecdote.

Nat... Nat, he just called her Nat. And like if she had come out of a dream, Nathalie realized where she was, what time it was. This couldn't be happening, she had dinner in a hotel room with her boss under the candles, having the best conversation in years; she learned so much about him, his thoughts, his dreams. She had fallen deeper into him, this new Gabriel. She felt so close to him, like if she could stand up right now and hold him in her arms and it would be the most casual event ever.

-Your turn again- said Gabriel.

-When did you have your first kiss? - let out Nathalie without even thinking it. "God, that was inappropriate".

-Umm, highschool. - he said. -No, middle-school. - he corrected in such an ordinary way, like if the question itself had been about his favorite color.

-With who? - smiled Nathalie

-Uh-uh Miss Sancoeur, you said no follow-ups- said Gabriel with a crooked smile.

Nathalie opened her mouth in surprise and smiled.

-Alright, Mr. Agreste, this just got serious- Nathalie removed in her seat. -Your turn.

-When was the last time you shared a hotel room with a man? - asked Gabriel.

-Does my brother count? – asked Nathalie and laughed – Umm, some years now- she confessed.

Why on earth had he asked such thing? Maybe it was the intimacy they were sharing, but she reacted with such naturality to every question, even this last one. Gabriel could notice how comfortable she felt with him, he felt happy and powerful, making this woman laugh and smile was like a reward for him. Seeing his assistant like this, sitting in an armchair in front of him, legs crossed under her, totally informal, bursting into laughter, wiping away some tears now and then, trying to regain her breath. This made him feel refreshed, he felt like he hadn't in years. Lifted him like if he could touch the clouds right now.

He didn't want this moment to end. But then he saw her yawn. For the first time in hours he checked his phone. Signal was still gone but the clocked marked 02:35 a.m.

-It's late, how did this happen? - asked Gabriel surprised and amused.

-Time does fly when you are having fun. Time to sleep. – said Nathalie standing up and walking towards the bed. -Pick a side.

-You take the bed; I will sleep here- he said.

-Don't be ridiculous, it's cold. AC is not working; besides, we are two mature adults perfectly capable of sharing a bed, just pick a side. - she said sitting on the edge of the bed. -Gabriel? -

It was a question, but deep down it was a prayer. One he couldn't resist.

It took Gabriel a while to answer, he was debating whether he should do this.

-Left. - his mouth had betrayed him.

-Okay, I'll have right- said Nathalie pulling away the covers.

This wasn't happening, was she really going to share a bed with her boss? Was this correct? All these questions were filling up her brain as she got into bed, but as soon as her head touched the pillow her lids started to flutter, if she wanted to refuse, it was too late. She turned around to face her boss now staring at her.

-Good night... Gabriel. – she looked at him one last time before closing her eyes.

She could definitively do this for the rest of her life. And so, she fell asleep.

It took Gabriel a while to process, he was still considering it as he watched her sleep. Deep inside he wanted to, he needed to. As if he hadn't control over his body he stood up. He took his pajama pants out and changed into them.

He sat on the left side of the bed and slowly slipped in, trying not to wake Nathalie that was now facing him, he was being careful enough not to touch her. Once comfortable he stared at her, her chest rising slowly as she breathed in and out. He slowly pulled away a strand of hair that was covering her face and placed it under her ear.

She was beautiful. How could he not see this before?

It had been years since he lay next to anyone. The woman lying next to him wasn't his beloved Emilie, then why was his heart racing? Why did he need her? Why did he want her close? Before he could stop himself, his arm was pulling her closer to him. He tried to pull it away, but she was snuggling against him, she let out a sigh as she lay her head on his chest. She was fully asleep.

Gabriel knew this was wrong, he needed to pull away, but why couldn't he do so? Why didn't he want to? That was it, he didn't want to. He wanted her contact, her warm body curled up against his. He wanted this. He felt what he hadn't in years: peace. He played with her hair for a while. His own lids started to flutter.

Tomorrow he would figure out what to do, say, think, feel. This moment was all that mattered. He lay a kiss on her forehead.

-Thank you Nat, for everything. Good night.

He fell asleep.