Chapter 2 BUTT COOLER

The guy in black was vaguely aware that everyone was discussing him, but he was trying to ignore the heat, the other guys and this slow-talking female.

He peered out from beneath the brim of his hat. He was thinking that it was a good thing he wasn't attracted to long tanned legs or graceful feet in flip flops with sparkly mermaid blue toenails.

It really was a good thing - because those long legs were sauntering his way stopping directly in front of him. The woman squatted down to eye level.

There was golden skin everywhere! Bare legs, bare arms, bare shoulders. She was wearing a sports bra and tank top that ALMOST showed some cleavage. Under a baseball cap, a bare face with a dusting of freckles across a pretty nose. Bright turquoise eyes met his dark squint.

Rachel leaned in toward the guy in black. "Hey, sugar! Let's get you somewhere cool. "

To his ears it sounded like "Shooooo -gerrr." Quietly he repeated, "SU- GA."

It took Rachel a second to catch on. "Ooohhh! You're in the South, darlin'. We call everybody that. Now come on."

She called the others to help the guy in black. "Put HIM in the front seat. All y'all pile in. Sweetie," she said pointing at Mr. Dimples, "sit behind him so you can hear everybody and translate if need be."

She went to the back of the big SUV and pressed a button to raise the 3rd row of seats. "Oh good lordie. I miscounted. Somebody is gonna have to sit in the floor. I am soooo sorry!!"

She settled in the driver's seat,adjusting the AC to MAX.
"Can you pretty please put my purse over there? Just dump it in the floor by your feet." Rachel handed the guy in black her Gucci bag. He raised an eyebrow at her, and put the purse in his lap.

She leaned over toward him and touched a dash button that lighted blue. "That's your butt cooler. It's AC in your seat. Don't panic if your butt feels wet. It's just cold air."

The guy just stared at her, his mouth slightly open. Rachel turned back towards their spokesperson and mouthed "Can he understand me? "
She knew her Southern drawl was really ...prominent.

Mr. Dimples just shrugged.

"Well, welcome to LA! Also known as Lower Alabama. Some of y'all already know, but my name is Rachel. "

A dark-haired beauty of a man hollered from the back. "Like on Friends, you know? "

"Exactly!"

"Now," Rachel said laughing as she turned onto the country road toward home, "Y'all introduce yourselves and make it memorable. If I can't remember your name when we get to the house, you don't get a snack!"