Chapter 5 YIPPEE KI YAY, MF

McKenna was officially freaked.

This was soooo fucking weird!! The biggest boy band in the world -supposedly the hottest guys in the world - were in...her ...house. All she wanted to do was chill.

She felt so strained around new people anyway, ugh! She hated awkward conversations and lame chit chat. She threw her volleyball shoes in the closet but didn't stop to change her clothes.

The best way to avoid conversation was headphones, so she grabbed hers. To sneak past the guys, she headed down the back stairs to her favorite place. Her family called it her "lair." It was a room on the first floor that had a sofa and a big ass TV with all their gaming stuff. She figured she could hide out for hours.This plan was genius!

She screeched to a halt in the doorway. What the hell? There was already somebody in here. He was on the floor, in front of the TV, leaning back against the sofa. She could just see the top of his head. His bright blonde head.

Grrr! Which one of these stupid pop stars had invaded her private sanctuary?! An f bomb slipped out before she could catch it. At least she whispered it. She liked having the element of surprise.

She HAD to get rid of him. An evil smirk graced her pouty lips. To scare him, and hopefully send him scurrying off, McKenna ran and leaped over the back of the sofa.

"YIPPEE KI YAY MOTHERFUCKER!!" she yelled as she crashed onto the sofa.

The dude jumped up screaming, arms in the air, tripped and then in slo-mo, fell forward, landing in a heap.

Yasss! She had scared the shit of him. Would he be pissed?

He sat up and turned toward her with big eyes, then started laughing uncontrollably. He covered his red face with his hands and kept laughing. He looked up at McKenna and burst into peals of laughter again .

McKenna found herself laughing along, dammit.

The blonde greeted her in a deep voice. "Hello. I'm Taehyung! Nice to meet you."

"I'm McKenna. I just couldn't resist scaring you." She arched her eyebrow at him.

He smiled a boxy smile. "I'm glad you did. My hyungs and I like to prank each other. So ... I feel ... at home here."

McKenna thought to herself,"Well that backfired. I'm trying to run him off, not make him comfortable."

Wait what?! HER game was on the screen.
"Are you playing on MY account? WTF? You're TRASHING my high scores!!"

"I am soo sorry. Will you teach me?" Taehyung asked with big brown puppy eyes, following with that completely disarming boxy smile.

"Yesss.. " she huffed. "Wait, what's your name again?"

"Taehyung."

"My friend at school likes BTS. She is full- on cray for, uh... V. She has a picture of him in her locker. She was going on about how he got voted the most beautiful man in the world. "

"Aish!!" Taehyung said. "What about me? I'm more handsome, right!?" and winked cutely at her.

McKenna rolled her eyes. "Whatever you say, chief! But he has pink hair, so it's not much of a challenge."

"What's wrong with pink hair?"

"It looks like cotton candy."

"But I love cotton candy."

"It reminds me of vomit."

"What?! Why?!"

"Cotton candy plus the teacup ride at Disney World. You do the math..."

"Do you really think I am not attractive?"

"God! Quit using my avatar!!" she blurted.

Tae, slightly embarrassed, said, "Sorry, this just popped up when I turned it on. Can you help me make my own so we can play together?"

"Fine!" McKenna huffed. This guy was impossible to shake. She helped him make his avatar, which turned out pretty cool. He put a lot of thought into the design of it, which her artsy side appreciated. She loved sketching characters.

McKenna looked at him. Shit! He was kinda impossible not to like. Maybe hanging with him wasn't so bad.
In no time, they were both playing. Taehyung was getting the hang of it quickly.

"You never answered my question.." Taehyung said.

"What question?"

"Do you think I'm handsome?"

"In general... or better than cotton candy head?" she laughed.

He looked at her with cute, innocent eyes and a little pout.

"There are ...literally... like a million girls with your picture plastered on their bedroom walls! Do you really need reassurance?! "

Tae looked at her. "I want to know YOUR opinion."

"Ugh.. I'm not a good one to ask. My friends think I have weird taste," she said.

" I'm not really attracted to just generic hotness. ..like...they have to be interesting... you know...interesting looking," McKenna explained.

He turned and looked at her.

"Am I interesting?"

McKenna sighed. "Well ," her artist eye kicking in, "your face is very symmetrical. .. I'm guessing you value stability. Strong nose...hmmm ... stubborn? but not in a bad way? ...just...tenacious. Intelligent eyebrows, wait... your eyes are hmm... no...it's your eyelids. Neat! They aren't exactly alike."

Her hand reached out of its own accord and her fingertip lightly touched the end of his nose.
"Cool! A tiny freckle right there."

Their eyes met. The moment turned weirdly intimate and she jerked her hand away.

McKenna blushed. "I told you I was weird!!"

"I liked hearing your opinion. "

Embarrassed, McKenna needed to change the subject. "Shut it and play!"

Taehyung looked immensely pleased. Girls, and some guys, had always been desperate for him because of his looks. They would confess their love without even knowing him at all. He was always nice to them, but it made him feel lonely and used.

This girl was different. Her untamed strawberry sunshine curls. And her challenging eyes. They hinted at guarded mysteries, jungle green with dappled gold sunlight flecks.

Several minutes later, they paused and she said to him, "You are nothing like I expected."

Tae looked quizzical.

McKenna paused. "I mean... it's ... you seem like a regular person."

Tae put his controller down and looked at her to continue.

McKenna paused, "like ...pretty ...down-to-earth...really ...chill....Ok!! Enough deep shit for one day!!"

Tae was beaming. "Thank you."

She tossed his controller back at him. "I'm about to kick your ass."

In no time, they were shrieking and laughing at the game.
McKenna yelled at him, "You killed ME again! We're on the same teeaammm, ya MO RON!!"

Taehyung looked at her with crossed eyes then rolled them in opposite directions. She screeched at his comical face. He was laughing and clutching his stomach.

Rachel came in shushing them. "Y'all are gonna wake up Yoongi. He's asleep next door in my room. "

Taehyung looked scared. "Yah!" he whispered. "We don't want to wake up Yoongi Hyung! "

Rachel said, "Lunch is ready. Handsome and I made shrimp and grits. And no bus yet...so y'all have time to ride horses."

Tae jumped up. ""Yes! Yes!" He looked at McKenna with his puppy eyes again. "Pleeeease?!"

McKenna rolled her eyes. "OK...OK."

She looked at the loose pants he was wearing and his bare feet. "Let's eat, then we'll find you some jeans and boots. My dumbass brother's should fit you."