Truth Serum, Mind Reading, and Unfortunate Crushes

By: orphan_account
"Truth serum? Seriously?" Alex was furious.

"It looks like it." Winn nodded, cowering slightly under the agent's gaze. Kara shifted on the medical table nervously, still bewildered. This is ridiculous. "Based off the Lasso of Truth, I think. It has the same properties, along with some synthetic kryptonite and something I don't recognize."

"Can you fix it?" Alex began to pace, glaring at her little sister in frustration. Kara pouted, forehead crinkling. Alex was acting like this was her fault. Well... maybe it was, a tiny bit her fault. She may or may not have rushed in... again. Without backup. Again.

So. A tiny bit her fault. But really, when pitted against Lillian Luthor, one can never truly be prepared, right? Genius runs in the family, that's for sure. she thought. Thank Rao Lena isn't like her family, or she would be the death of me. If her mother didn't beat her to it...

"I think so, given time." Winn nodded. "I have no idea how to even begin to fix it though, maybe it will just wear off..." His voice trailed off as he noted Alex's fierce look. "Right. Or I could just fix it, I'll just go... do... that." He rushed out of the room, the door slamming behind him.

"Kara." Alex sighed, crossing her arms and turning to face her sister. Here we go.

"I know, I know. I shouldn't have rushed in." Kara muttered, eyes fixed on the floor. "But-"

"No! No buts! You are an alien superhero with a secret identity, and you got shot with a gun loaded with kryptonite truth serum!" Alex threw her hands up, exasperated. "You can't just take off like that, Kara! What if I hadn't gotten there in time? You could be strapped down somewhere telling Lillian Luthor national secrets!"

"I know it's bad." Kara whispered, feeling guilty. "I don't think that's what she meant to do. It seemed like she wanted me to get away."

"What?" Alex ran her hand through her hair, thinking. "I think that might be worse, Kara. Why would she want to let you go like that?" The agent began pacing again, her expression worried. "What could she have to gain?"

"I don't know. But Winn will fix this and we won't have to find out."

............................

As it turns out, Winn couldn't fix it. Three days had passed, and Kara had been forced to remain at the DEO. She was going stir crazy, pacing constantly, hovering over Winn and Alex. They had taken to calling her "Donkey" every time she asked "Is it done yet?" It took her an embarrassing amount of time to catch the Shrek reference.

....................

"Can I please just go home? I'll fly straight there, I promise." Kara was working her most pouty pout face, praying that it would melt Alex's resolve. No progress had been made toward curing her, and she just wanted to go home. She wasn't allowed to talk to most of the agents, just in case she let something slip, and it was uncomfortable. Alex had been careful what she asked Kara, mindful of the fact that she couldn't lie. But that made for awkward conversation, and Kara was stressed out and bored.

"Kara..." Alex sighed, trying not to look at the pout. Kara saw the moment she caved. Yes! "Uugg. Fine. Straight there. And do not leave, for anything. Don't even order food." Kara was already bouncing excitedly, headed toward the exit. "Do you hear me, Supergirl?" Alex shouted at her sister's retreating back.

"Yes, I hear you! Bye!"

....................