I Love You

By: superkarasdanvers
Kara had never really been in love before.

She has loved and been loved, sure. But, this feeling that she gets whenever she sees Lena's smile. Or hears her laugh. Or feels her lips on her own. It's not just any kind of love, she's head over heels, deeply, in love with Lena Luthor.

The pair have been dating for months. It took Alex setting them up on a "not date" for them to realize that maybe they had been basically dating the whole time.

The exchange of the first 'I love you' came from Kara over a date night Lena had planned after a long week.

"You promise to come home right after work? No Supergirl business tonight." Lena quirked a brow at her girlfriend as she dressed for the day.

"I can't really control if someone decides to attack the city.." Kara began, pulling a button up over her shoulders.

"J'onn, Nia and Brainy can handle the city." Lena deadpanned. "You're mine tonight."

Kara smiled at the thought and leaned over the bed, placing both hands on the mattress and leaning in for a kiss. "Yes ma'am."

The dinner was one of Kara's favorites and Lena punctuated the night with a Rom-Com, despite her despise for the movie genre in general, knowing Kara would be a sap for the hopeless romance of it all.

The words were spoken during a particularly emotional scene in which Kara realized she was feeling all the same things as the characters on screen.

The first time she said it, it was muffled by the voices on the screen.

"What was that, babe?" Lena asked, eyes trained on the screen and admittedly more involved in the story than she had intended.

"I said," Kara started again, a bit louder this time and with a bit more confidence. "I love you."

Lena let her eyes shift away from the TV to look at her girlfriend who was laying between her legs, back pressed up against her chest, head laying back on her shoulder and hands entangled in her own. She smiled, the words seeming so obvious.

The pair had been exchanging 'I love yous' long before their relationship even began so the admission didn't throw Lena as much as it may have in any other relationship.

"I love you, too." Lena returned, leaning down to capture Kara's lips in her own.

Kara was happy enough.

Kara rolled into bed with a grunt, smelling of some kind of fruit thanks to her shampoo and conditioner.

"Long night?" Lena asks as she pulls her reading glasses from her face and closes her book, marking the page with the accessory and placing it on the bedside table.

It was nearing midnight, but Lena could hardly sleep when Kara wasn't in bed and any sleep she did get was restless.

"You could say that." Kara mumbled, struggling to pull the covers out from under her to shuffle under and get closer to her girlfriend. "I just need to cuddle and sleep, please."

Lena let out a small laugh, leaning over to click off the light coming from the lamp. "Cuddling I can do." she said, sliding herself down fully under the covers and into Kara's open embrace. "Do you wanna talk about it?"

"Nope, just sleep." Kara stated, eyes already closed. "I love you."

Lean smiled, placing a small kiss on her girlfriends forehead, "I love you, too."

Kara tightened her grip, pulling Lena closer so their bodies were flush together. Silence fell over the room and Lena was just about asleep when she heard her name in the form of a soft whisper.

"Yeah?" she whispered back. She didn't turn her body, just gripped the pillow beneath her head and listened for Kara to speak more.

"Can I tell you something?" Kara asked, sounding nervous.

Lena tried to flip and face the blonde, but Kara just held her embrace. "Anything."

"It's gonna sound stupid."

"Kara, nothing you say sounds stupid."

A beat of silence.

Lena could feel Kara's breath on her neck as she spoke the words. "Why do you always say 'I love you, too'?"

She didn't know how to respond at first. Was Kara asking why she loved her? Was she unsure if she actually does? Where was this coming from?

Kara spoke again before she could ask, "I mean, why don't you just say 'I love you' back?"

Lena thought for a second, "Isn't 'I love you, too' saying 'I love you' back?" she questioned. There was nothing accusatory in her voice, just genuine curiosity.

Kara's hold on Lena loosened and she took the cue to flip. She came face to face with Kara and immediately brought her hand up to cup her girlfriends face which looked a bit unsure.

"I just feel like," Kara started and rolled her eyes, seemingly at herself, "It's stupid I know," Lena interrupted with a 'not stupid', hating when Kara spoke of herself or her feelings in such a manner. "I just feel like saying 'I love you, too' is so second nature. Like you don't really think about it and you're just saying it because it's what you're supposed to say."

Lena watched as Kara's eyes searched hers for a response. She looked so vulnerable and all Lena wanted to do was reassure her. "Kara," she began, brushing her thumb over her cheek, "I love you." she spoke the words slowly and punctuated every syllable. She spoke not only with her words but with her eyes, too. She wanted Kara to see how genuine she was. "I will scream it from the rooftops if you want, but I do love you and I don't just say it to say it back. I have never loved anyone in my life more than I've loved you."

Kara had tears brimming at her eyes, but the smile on her lips told Lena not to be worried. "I love you." Kara whispered in the dark, leaning her forehead on Lena's and stealing a soft kiss.

Lena smiled, wrapping her arms around Kara's body and tucking her head into the crook of her neck. "I love you."