Bridge Over Troubled Water

By: TheButcherOfBlaviken
"what do you want from me Kara?" Lena cried, her hands out in front of her. Her eyes were red, and Kara wished she hadn't been the cause of that. Kara could feel her own eyes water.

"I just want to be here for you Lena" she cried back, reaching for one of Lena's hands. Lena jerked away and scowled at her. Tears were freely falling but neither made mention of it. She leaned forward and pointed accusingly at Kara,

"you've said that before, yet here we are" Lena screamed in her face. They had kept a lid on their anger in the months since they started to work on everything, but it had come to a boiling point, now spilling over the side of the pot and making a mess.

"I want to try again, no lies, no secrets. Nothing holding us back" Kara tried again to hold Lena's hand and this time she let her. Though Lena kept her body as far away as possible from the hand in hers.

"when you're weary and feeling small" Kara took a step closer. Lena flinched and Kara rubbed her knuckled with her thumb.

"when there's tears in your eyes, ill be there to dry them, if you let me" another step closer, Lena's shoulder went ridged for a second then loosened, dropping down to their regular position.

"ill always be on your side, no matter how rough times get" this seemed to light a fire in Lena as she pulled away again, her face angry.

"dammit, this is everything you said before Kara!" Lena walked around her, her back to Kara and arms folded against her chest.

"how can I know you aren't lying to me again? That you're not going to be just another friend I can't find when I need you?" Lena's voice shook and Kara walked up to her turned figure. She gently turned her around. She was shocked that Lena let her do such a thing but wouldn't question it.

"I want to be like a bridge over troubled water Lena. I will lay myself down and do whatever it takes to keep you safe." Lena wouldn't make eye contact but was silently and Kara thought, hopefully, listening.

"when you're down and out, on the street." Kara put her forehead against Lena's and breathed deep.

"when nights get too hard, when darkness falls, I'll be there" Kara wrapped her arms around Lena. The other woman was stiff in her embrace but slowly relaxed again. Kara took this as a good sign.

"whenever you're in pain, ill take it on myself." Lena looked up finally, her eyes red and tears slipping down her face in rivers. Kara couldn't judge as she assumed her face looked much like the CEO's.

"you can't make all these promises again Kara. you can't know what will happen" a shaking voice came from Lena's lips, her hand snaking around to hold Kara.

"I promise I will do everything I can do make them all true" Kara wrapped her arms around Lena as well, holding tight as if she was afraid she could slip away.

"its time to sail on, silver girl." Kara smiled through her tears, taking the opportunity to wipe Lena's.

"I want to make everything you want come true. Your dreams, wishes. Everything." Lena tried to look away, but Kara pulled her chin right back.

"I want to see you shine, like the bright star I know you are." Kara caressed her cheek and Lena couldn't resist the pull and sunk into it; her eyes closed.

"whenever you need me, ill be right behind you." Kara leaned in closer, their faces less then an inch apart. She could feel Lena's breath on her face, smell her face wash.

With Lena in arms, everything felt right. That this is where everything was leading up to. They were always meant to be together in on way or another. Destiny seemed to pull them together, every time. There was no use in fighting it anymore.

Lena looked into her eyes, as if searching for the lie in anything Kara had just poured out. Everything was out on the table now. There were no barriers anymore It was just two injured souls searching for the thing that could heal them.

They watched each other for a few minutes, testing the water of their new understanding of each other. They investigated each other's hearts and found maybe they were feeling the same thing.

Lena put a hand on her cheek gently, moving her thumb back and forth on her cheek. Kara put her hand over the other woman's and closed her eyes. When she opened them, Lena was closer than before and steadily moving closer.

To hell with it

Kara closed the distance between them, shoving aside the past hurt and burdens and just enjoying the feeling of their lips together. They were messy and uncoordinated, clashing teeth and a mix of tongue but it was perfect.

All the hurt, the pain, the misunderstanding and lies were all forgotten. They were replaced by the hope of a new beginning, a fresh start.

Kara never wanted to go back to the people they were. If it meant she couldn't have this, she never wanted to be that person ever again.

They stayed locked together in the middle of Lena's living room, the only sounds were their heavy breathing as they broke apart. Kara took deep breath and held Lena, putting her head against her neck. She placed a soft kiss there and Lena moaned, holding her head.

"I'm sorry." She mumbled between hot kisses on her neck. Each kiss punctuated by the same phrase, stated like a prayer.

"I know" Lena answered, pulling her face from her worship and holding it between her hands.

"let's stop hurting each other. Ease each other's minds for once" she whispered.

"I never want to hurt you again Lee" Kara whispered back, pulling Lena in once again.

Lena gave her no verbal answer, just pulled her in for a hug. Kara was made of steel, but she was sure this was the tightest she had ever been held in her life. And she never wanted to leave Lena's hold ever again.

They moved to the couch and just laid there in the quiet penthouse, taking each other in and savoring it. They fell asleep like that and when Kara woke up, she was sure, heaven could wait if this was what she had here.