6: Not Today

I rode in a car with Jungkook, Taehyung, Jimin, and Yoongi. As I watched, the younger three laughed and joked around with each other, pouring shots of liquor and throwing them back quickly while Yoongi just watched the city fly by around us with his head in his palm and a finger hooked around his lips. I had the feeling he was there more as a babysitter than anything else. But despite my exhaustion and achy feet, I found myself laughing from time to time. Even Yoongi threw his head over his shoulder and cracked a gummy smile a time or two. They were an infectiously fun bunch when they weren't busy being intimidating.

Jimin and I sat with our backs toward the driver. When Jungkook poured another shot of the clear liquid in an exquisitely cut-glass decanter, he handed it to me with that devilish smile that was becoming harder to resist.

"Drink up, beautiful. You never know what kind of fun an auction night is going to bring."

My eyes widened, both in response to him calling me beautiful and to the idea that something crazy might happen. I tossed the shot back, enjoying the smooth burn of it flowing down my throat. I'd had alcohol before when I'd lived in a commune of other homeless for a couple weeks before I fought off a guy for stealing my stuff and the others kicked me out for it. What they had had was homemade out of some rotten fruit in an old barrel and wasn't nearly as good as what those guys were currently knocking back. I'd even heard one guy had died from whatever they'd tried to concoct in that back alley.

When you're facing down an eternity on the streets, though, sometimes you'll turn to anything to kill the pain of your desperation. Even if it might kill you in the process.

When we pulled up in front of the tall building, I tried to duck down to see all of it. It wasn't the building Taehyung and I had come to earlier to shop in, but it wasn't one I was otherwise familiar with, either. One by one, we each filed out of the car and stood on the sidewalk as we waited for the other car to pull in. Jin, Namjoon, and Hobi stepped out of their car looking like a trio of movie stars as they buttoned their tux jackets back up. I bit my lip and held onto the clutch I'd been given like it was a life jacket and I was about to get shoved overboard. Our cars pulled off just as another set was pulling up.

This group was larger than ours, but the men and women that got out were no less glamorous. I noticed one man, in particular, with longer red hair and the most seductive smile I'd ever seen on a person in my life. Even considering Jungkook. His eyes locked with mine and I thought I would melt right there. He tapped the guy beside him and nodded over at us with his head. The other guy was attractive, too, with his shiny black hair and bright smile, but the magnetism of the first was as captivating as the sun. I had to remind myself not to stare too long if I didn't want to get burned. They started to make their way over to where we stood and I felt the men I'd come with close ranks around me.

"Kai," Namjoon said, holding his hand out to the seductive stranger with the maroon hair. "Pleasure to see you again."

"You too. We would never miss one of your auctions. I've got my eyes on a katana you have listed anyway."

"Oh, the Muromachi piece? Yes, it'll make a fine addition to your collection. Suho, thank you for coming." Namjoon shook the other man's hand as well. They seemed to be on good terms with each other, but one could never tell with the criminal element. They'd happily shake your hand with the same one they used to slit your throat in my experience. "How's your father?"

"He's doing well, thank you. He sends his warm regards." Suho's eyes glittered as he greeted Namjoon before they focused on me again. "And who is this you have here? I don't think I've had the pleasure of meeting her before."

I took the hand he offered, giving it a firm shake as I tried to control the trembling. I wondered how many people had died at that hand. His eyes widened for a moment, probably shocked that I'd shaken his hand rather than simply given it to him to kiss like a refined woman would be expected to do. I bit my lip and cursed myself internally. Slip ups like that could get me killed. If Suho cared, though, he didn't show it. He simply brought my hands up to his soft lips anyway, bowing slightly. When my eyes flicked up to Kai's they were burning down on me like all the fury of a supernova.