Rain

Hobi and Jimin had to go to the club for the night, so they took the SUV and left me and Tae to walk back to the warehouse where we'd first met so he could pick up his other car. A fine rain was just beginning to fall, but the night was mild and I didn't mind. I just tilted my head to the sky and let the cool water wash away the stress of the past few days. The farther we walked, the more the streets filled with the fog caused by the changing temperature.

"You look at peace," Tae said quietly as he pulled his coat higher around his neck.

"I love weather like this. When it's cool, but not cold, and the fog settles in like the breath of something vast and powerful."

"You also have a way with words."

I chuckled and shoved my hands in my pockets. "One tends to wax a little poetic when all they have to pass the time are the words in their own head. Some of the most beautiful things I've ever heard came from those on the fringe of society."

Taehyung turned his head back to the street in front of us, nodding slightly. "I get that. Sometimes after a job I have to disappear for a while. When you're alone with just yourself, you learn things."

I nodded, too. "Sometimes it's things you never wanted to know."

We both fell silent, with only our steps on the wet pavement to break the stillness of the night. Finally, Tae turned to me and shoved my shoulder playfully. "So, I've got to do this thing for Jin. Since you're one of us now, you want to come help?"

I looked him over from his playful smirk, to the way his gun wasn't quite hidden in the holster under his jacket. Spending the evening with him wouldn't be bad and maybe it would give me a chance to figure out more about the way I was starting to enjoy what we were doing. My heart sped up in my chest as I nodded my head.

His boxy grin grew. "Great! Let's move, then."

Tae picked up his pace. I had to struggle to keep up with his long legs, but in no time we were back at the tuna packing warehouse where he'd first threatened my life. The place looked different in the light of the street lamps and considering my new position in life. Still, my stomach did a nervous little flip remembering all the shit I'd been through before being taken in by Bangtan.

Taehyung scanned his iris and punched in a code on the front panel. The bay door clicked and whined as it rolled up into the ceiling. I'd always wondered what was inside that place and now I was about to find out. Lights clicked on overhead as we stepped inside and triggered the motion detectors. I couldn't see any security cameras, but I had no doubt the place was littered with them. My eyes went wide as I looked around and saw what was inside.

There was every kind of product or thing for as far as I could see. Boxes and crates stacked to the ceiling with the equipment to move them neatly beside them on one side. Various kinds of exotic, and expensive, vehicles lined the other side. I walked over to a crate with its lid partially removed and looked inside. It was packed full of different kinds of military-grade weapons. Tae walked over to another and reached inside, pulling out a couple SIG Sauer P320s. On a nearby shelf, he grabbed a box of ammo and a holster. He handed it all to me.

I looked up at him, still wide-eyed, as I slowly took everything from him.

He shrugged. "If you're going to be one of us, you should be armed. And since you can obviously handle whatever Jungkook threw at you this morning, I figured a couple guns should be nothing for you." He turned and walked across the room to the vehicles. "Besides," he called over his shoulder, "I don't plan on you needing those tonight anyway."

As I strapped the holster on my chest and loaded the pistols, Taehyung ripped the cover off a sleek, matte black street bike. He stripped off his good coat and threw it to the side, then pulled on a black leather jacket. I tried not to drool, but I was losing the fight. Once I'd strapped all my guns down, he tossed me a helmet and jacket, too. As good as I may have been with my fists and weapons, I'd never been on a bike before and fumbled with the helmet straps. I could hear Taehyung's muffled laugh as he walked over to help me.