Chapter 19 ~ French Fry Braid

One

Failure. 

Two

Nyssa. 

Three

Step-dad. 

Four

Brandal. 

One, Failure. 

Two, Nyssa. 

Three, Step-dad. 

Four, Brandal. 

One.  

Two.  

Three.  

Four. 

Failure.

Nyssa.

Step-dad.

Brandal.

Nathan counted in fours as little beads of red drops emerged from thin red threads. 

Such a Fail.... he thought. Couldn't Help Nyssa, or Brandal, or even escape his step dad... 

Nathan sighed a breath of relief as the stings healed his mind, and joined his thoughts. 

"Nathan, time for school," Nyssa knocked his closed door weakly and Nathan scrambled to get ready. Soon, he was dressed and set to go. His Black shirt hiding the new scars emerging on his side and his dark jeans covering his thighs. 

One of Nyssa's friend's mom came to pick them up, like usual. 

"Hi guys!" The thin giggly girl piped. 

"Hey Jenny," Nyssa smiled. 

"Do you like my braid! Mommy did it this morning! It's a French Fry Braid!" The girl, Jenny, responded. 

"Jen, it's a French braid dear." Her mother corrected. 

"But I like french fries! They're yummy! Especially with ketchup!" Jen rambled. 

Something about the girl seemed off to Nathan, ever since he met her. It was like she was too... childish? And every passing day... 

"We're here!" Jen's mom grinned and dropped the trio off. "I'll pick you up after school, okay guys?" 

Nyssa and Nathan thanked her, and as Nathan walked into the school, Jen's mom whispered something in Nyssa's ear, though he couldn't quite catch it. 

He shrugged. 

Time to find the girl with purple hair. 

.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

.

"Watch out for Jen..." Jen's mom, Rachel, had told her. 

And she would.

"What's wrong?" Jen asked, and Nyssa turned to look at her, her big brown eyes full of emotion. 

"Nothing Jenny."

"French Fries are yummy," Jen's thoughts switched and nibbled on the school lunch provided french fries. "Want one?" She offered Nyssa. 

They sat in a less crowded area next to the gymnasium, far away from their group of friends. 

Old friends, Nyssa thought. Jen is my only friend now.