Chapter Four

Arthit's was nervously bouncing his leg sitting in the courtroom. Rome was doing his best to lessen Arthit's anxiety but was miserably failing. He placed his hand on Arthit's leg to still the bouncing, when he noticed Arthit was also shaking.

"Arthit, you have to calm down. He can't hurt you in here. Everything is going to be alright. You must have faith. Justice will be served."

Arthit wiped away the lone tear that fell from his eyes. He was doing his best to keep his eyes forward. He could feel Mike's eyes boring a hole in his head from across the room. Sitting at the plaintiff's table with his attorney on his left and Rome on his right, he was scared to death. After his session with Kongpob, he had filed charges against Mike. While those charges were being sorted, the police advised him to seek a restraining order against Mike. Despite his fear that Mike's family connections and political power would allow him to walk free, he swallowed his fear and submitted the application for an order of protection to the court.

Seated across from him, Mike was sitting with his attorney, a smirk on his face. He was staring directly at Arthit, which only heightened his fear. Mike's attorney would periodically lean over to Mike and whisper in his ear, making Mike smirk even harder. He seemed unworried, which worried Arthit. He started to stand when the bailiff called the court to order.

"All rise. The honorable Boonsri Panischad presiding."

The judge took her seat behind the bench and took a file from the court clerk.

"Good morning everyone. We have convened this morning to entertain an application for an Order of Protection on behalf of Mr. Arthit Rojnapat against Mr. Michael Tanawat. Is the applicant present?"

Arthit's attorney stood and responded in the affirmative.

"Is the respondent present?"

Mike's attorney also stood and responded.

"Okay, let's begin. Mr. Rojnapat, please take the stand."

Arthit closed his eyes, took a deep breath and slowly stood. Rome squeezed his hand before he slowly walked to the stand. He kept his head down and cradled his heavily bandaged wrist in his lap.

"Mr. Rojnapat, according to the application submitted to the court, you have stated that you are in fear of your life and believe the respondent, Mr. Tanawat, has intentions of doing you bodily harm. Is this true?"

Arthit nodded slowly.

"I'm sorry Mr. Rojnapat, I'll need you to respond audibly."

"Oh. Um, yes. That's true."

"Please explain why you feel this way."

Arthit focused his sight on Rome, who smiled at him and mouthed "you can do this" to Arthit.

"Well, Mike and I dated for several years. Throughout our relationship, he beat me several times, broke my arm, fractured my collarbone, blackened my eyes on several occasions and caused several concussions. Most recently, he surprised me at my florist shop drunk and attacked me. He twisted my wrist and knocked me unconscious."

Arthit teared up relating the information and wiped at his eyes.

"Mr. Rojnapat, do you have proof to validate these allegations?"

"Yes, your honor."

Arthit's attorney stood, approached the bench and submitted Arthit's medical records and statements from treating physicians and Rome. The judge reviewed the information and turned back to Arthit.

"Thank you, Mr. Rojnapat. Your may step down and return to the plaintiff's table." The judge turned towards Mike and his attorney. "Mr. Tanawat, please take the stand."