Chapter Six

Arthit was taking in all the wonderful smells as he walked amongst the orchids in the greenhouse. After everything he'd been through recently, he relished the opportunity to do something relaxing. Rome had told him about the Orchid Expo this weekend and he couldn't wait to indulge. He smiled as he bent down and inhaled the luscious scent of the Dendrobium hybrids.

"Lovely, aren't they?"

Arthit was startled by the voice. He was even more surprised when he turned to find the source.

"Dr. Suthiluck. G-good m-morning."

Arthit mentally facepalmed himself for stuttering. He didn't need a mirror to know his cheeks were dusted pink from embarrassment. He quickly averted his eyes and bowed his head.

"Good morning Arthit. We're not in a session right now. I think it's okay if you call me Kongpob."

Arthit lifted his head to see Kongpob flash a million-watt smile. His heart warmed seeing that smile. For the first time in a long time, he was not anxiety riddled. His nerves were still a little frayed, but Kongpob had a calming presence that made him feel at ease.

"Okay...Kongpob. I knew you liked orchids, but it never occurred to me that I would run into anyone I knew here. My best friend Rome suggested I attend so I could get out of the house and relax."

"Your friend is very wise. To be honest, I'd completely forgotten about the Orchid Expo until my assistant, Marena, reminded me yesterday afternoon. Like you, I needed a break as well. Things have been a little stressful lately."

"Oh. I'm sorry to hear that. I guess even therapists need therapy, huh?"

They both chuckled.

"Well, don't let me keep you, doctor. I mean, Kongpob. Sorry. Calling you by your first name will take some getting used to. I don't want to take time away from whomever you're here with. I'll just be going now."

"Oh no. I'm here alone. In fact, if it's not too presumptuous, I wouldn't mind joining you. It'll be nice to enjoy the sites with someone who loves orchids as much as I do. Do you mind?"

Arthit was unsure how to answer. He liked the feeling of being with Kongpob outside of his office. His easy manner and pleasant smile put him at ease. He couldn't help but think, though, that meeting up with his therapist was somehow inappropriate.

"If you're wondering, it's not completely inappropriate to see your therapist outside of the office, you know." Arthit looked at Kongpob wide-eyed. It was like he read his mind.

"Well, I was wondering." Arthit averted his gaze.

"I tell you what. If it'll make you feel better, I can refer you to one of my colleagues on Monday. The last thing I want is to make you feel uncomfortable. I just want to spend time with a fellow orchid lover, that's all."

"No! That won't be necessary. I guess it couldn't hurt to walk around and enjoy the show, right?"

Kongpob smiled at Arthit and Arthit reciprocated. Kongpob turned and allowed Arthit to lead the way.

"After you, Arthit."

Arthit chuckled and continued down the aisle.  For the rest of the day, they truly enjoyed each other's company. They took in the sites, examining orchids, purchasing bulbs and listening to lectures by local gardeners and experts. As day turned to evening, Kongpob debated internally whether to ask Arthit to dinner. For the first time in a long time, Kongpob felt free. Being with Arthit was without pressure. There were no expectations. Arthit wanted nothing from him. He just enjoyed the man's company and he craved more of it, hoping the day would never end.