Chapter Sixteen

"Welcome to beautiful Bangkok and thank you for flying American Airlines. We understand that you have many choices when choosing to fly and we appreciate you for flying with us. If you are flying home, welcome home. If you are visiting, we welcome you to Thailand."

The man was staring out the window as the flight attendant made her rounds through first class.

"Sir, may I have your glass please?"

"Absolutely sweetheart. Here you go." He handed her the glass and winked at her. His smile was disconcerting and sent a shiver down her spine. She did her best to maintain her professional demeanor, but the man emitted a sinister aura that made her uncomfortable.

"Are you here on business?"

"No. I've been away for a little while and I'm coming back to get something I lost."

"Well I hope you find it. Welcome back to Thailand."

"Thanks sweetheart."

She moved quickly to address the other passengers. He closed his eyes and smirked. He mumbled to himself. "I'll see you soon, baby. I've missed you. I'm you've missed me too."

Madame Suthiluck was happily working in her greenhouse attending to her orchids.

"Oh, look at this one. You need a little extra TLC don't you darling. Here's a little spritz for you. Now you can grow big and strong."

She was humming a familiar tune and giddily inspecting the rest of the beautiful flowers.

"I haven't heard that song in a long time."

Startled Madame Suthiluck turned to see her son standing behind her.

"Oh, my goodness. You shouldn't sneak up on you mother. Are you trying to send me to an early grave Kongpob?"

"Of course, not mother. Is a son not allowed to visit his mother occasionally?" He embraced his mother and kissed her on the cheek. "The dendrobium looks good mother. Where did you get these?"

"Phuket. They were delivered yesterday. Aren't they gorgeous?"

"Not as lovely as my beautiful mother." Madame Suthiluck gave her son a thin smile and crossed her arms, narrowing her eyes.

"Alright Kong. I know you love your mother and your orchids, but you didn't come all the way here to take a tour of my greenhouse. Let's go in the house so you can tell me why you really came."

She removed her gloves and her hat, leaving them on her workbench. Entering the house from the garden she called out to one of the house helpers asking them to bring some tea to the sitting room. Sitting down on an antique settee, she crossed her legs and focused her eyes on her son.

"Have a seat Kong. Now tell me. What brings you here? Please tell me it's not about that insipid girl. You haven't taken up with her, again have you? She was drab and dreadful. You can do so much better."

"Mother stop criticizing Achara. Although she's no longer in my life, I will not allow you to disparage her. She's a good woman and I'll always love her."

"Oh please. Consider it a bullet dodge son. Anywho, why are you here?"

"Well, I wanted to bring someone to meet you."

"Really? Well you can't do any worse than Achara, so I'm sure I'll be pleased with anyone you bring."

Kongpob rolled his eyes and sighed. "You will never change, will you?"

"Kong these spots are to old to change. Leave this leopard alone, won't you? I'll have a dinner prepared for your young lady for this Friday evening. Now be a good son and make your mother a cup of tea."

Chuckling, Kong made her mother a nice cup of tea.

Arthit was working on an arrangement while Rome was working on the books. He sighed and smiled widely remembering his night with Kongpob. His face felt warm just thinking about it. He was sure his face was as red as a tomato, which made him cover his cheeks with his hands.

"If you sigh one more time."

"Oh Rome. Not even your sour mood can dampen my day. I'm floating on too high a cloud."

"For fuck's sake. Are you thinking about that douche bag again?"

"Rome!"

"Okay. My bad. He's not a douche bag. Asshole? Yep! But certainly not a douche bag. That would be an insult to douche bags everywhere."

"Stop it! What is your problem? First you didn't like him because he had a fiancé. Now he's single. He's committed to me. Why do you still hate him?"

"Arthit it's not that I hate him. It's that I don't trust that sonofabitch. It's a sorry bastard that treats people the way he treated you and that poor girl. It would be different if I hadn't met her. She's a nice girl and she loved his stupid ass. He treated her like dirt, and he strung you along right with her. It pisses me off."

"I'm gonna need you to let it go. He's promised to do better and so far, he's kept that promise. So, lay off him okay?"

"Alright. You win, but the minute he steps out of line, I am going to stomp his ass. Understand?"

"I promise that IF he hurts me, I will LET you stomp him. Agreed?"

"Agreed. So, where is lover boy anyway?"

"He had to visit his mother this afternoon."

"Of fuck me! Don't tell me he's a mama's boy too."

"Dammit Rome! Didn't you just promise me to lay off him?"

"Sorry Arthit. That one was too good to pass up."

"Stop it!"

"Fine!"

The man entered the mansion and inhaled deeply. Then he took out a clove cigarette and lit it. He kept walking until he reached the study where he plopped down on the couch and crossed his legs on the coffee table.

"Young Master Tanawat. You've returned. Welcome home sir."

"My bags are in the car. Make sure they are taken to my room. Where is my father?"

"Big Master is at the office." Oat looked at his watch. "He is expected within the hour. Shall I contact him and let him know you're arrived safely?"

"Don't bother. I'll see him when he gets home. Bring me some bourbon. Neat."

"Yes, Young Master. I'll be right back."

Oat scurried from the room to fetch the drink. The younger Tanawat was ill-tempered and he didn't want to get off on a bad foot with him so soon. He sighed as he entered the kitchen.

"Young Master has returned."

The cook dropped her spoon into the pot she was stirring.

"Really. Things have been so peaceful since he left. Why has he returned?"

"I don't have a good feeling about this. I don't think Big Master knows he's back. I pray things stay calm for a little longer."

"It was so nice when he was gone. I really hope he isn't here to bother that poor boy again. Big Master covered it up, but everyone knows what he did."

Oat just sighed, picked up the drink and placed it on a silver tray.

"Cook, all we can do is pray that he leaves him alone, but knowing Young Master, he probably already has a plan brewing."

"Hurry and bring him that drink. Don't make him wait."

Oat hurried from the kitchen leaving Cook to her dinner.

"Dear Lord. Please protect Arthit from Young Master. Mike is a brutal man and that poor boy barely escaped with his life. Watch over him."