Chapter Twelve

A black sedan pulled up in front of a modestly appointed home. The driver exited the car and opened the door for a well-coifed middle-aged woman who was impeccably dressed.

"Madam, I am waiting for you or would you like to me to return at an appointed time?"

"I won't be staying long, Arnault. Please return to retrieve me in exactly 90 minutes. A minute later and I will be very displeased."

"Yes madam." Arnault bowed and returned to the car.

The woman approached the front door of the home and depressed the doorbell. After waiting for a short moment, the door opened.

"Madam Suthiluck." Achara was stunned to see the unexpected visitor.

"Well don't stand there gawking, girl. Let me in." Madam Suthiluck pushed passed Achara and entered the home. "Where is my son?"

Achara looked at her watch and hesitated to answer. Kongpob should have been home by now but has was several hours late. Her calls went to him went unanswered. If she told this to her future mother-in-law, she would not be pleased at all. She feared invoking her wrath.

Madam Suthiluck moved throughout the home inspecting everything as she went. She scowled examining the decorations and winced when wiped the couch with her handkerchief before finally sitting on the couch.

"Was I misunderstood? I asked where my son was."

Achara scurried to sit next to Madam Suthiluck. She nervously fumbled with her hands in her lap, withering under the gaze of her mother-in-law.

"Um..."

"Um is not an answer. Is there something wrong with you? Why aren't you answering me?"

"Well, he was supposed to be home by now, but..."

"So, you don't know where he is. You're not even married yet and you're already incapable of keeping track of my son. Is there a problem between you two? Have you given him a reason to want to stay away from home?"

Achara felt like crying. Madam Suthiluck was a cold woman and had made it clear from the beginning that she didn't feel she was worthy of her son, but since she was already engaged to Kongpob, she settled into the idea, however disappointed she may have been.

"No. That's not it. He has had a lot of extra patients lately, so his work hours have increased."

"Good to know that my son is providing well for you. What about you? Are you planning to remain a housewife or are you going to go ahead and put your degree to good use? What was it you studied again?"

Madam Suthiluck laid her handkerchief on the coffee table and placed her Birkin Bag on it. Achara noted the grimace on her face and she sighed.

"Engineering, ma'am."

"And you're not working right now, because...?"

"Well, I only studied engineering to make my parents happy. I've decided to pursue my passion for art and get a master's degree in Art History."

Madam Suthiluck held her hand to her mouth to stifle her laughter.

"Most artists don't make any money until after they are dead, but never mind me. Other than what is hanging on the walls of my home, I know very little of art." She shrugged. "Anyhow. Are you planning to offer me something to drink or would you prefer I die of thirst?"

"Oh, my goodness. I'm sorry. What would you like ma'am?"

"Don't be sorry Achara, be attentive. I'll have some water. Flat and bottled."