Chapter Twenty-Eight

The sun shined through the water coming from the fountain casted an iridescent sheen on her white dress that made Kongpob smile. It had been awhile since Achara and Kongpob spent time together. They had both been through so much that neither was sure the other still cared.

"You look beautiful Achara." Kongpob shifted in his wheelchair turning to face Achara.

"Thank you, Kong. I'm glad to see that you are recovering well from your accident. My heart ached for you when Phana told me what happened."

"I wasn't sure you would still care about what happens to me."

Achara leaned forward from her seat next to the fountain and placed her hand on Kongpob's knee. Looking him in the eye she smiled.

"Kong I'll always care about what happens to you."

"Achara I owe you so many apologies. I just don't know where to start. The way I treated you..."

"Stop. There's no need to apologize. There is a very thin line between victim and volunteer. I knew from the beginning that you didn't love me, but I was so desperate to be wanted, I accepted the illusion of a relationship. We both bear some blame. You shouldn't carry the burden of it alone."

"Perhaps. The heinous treatment you received from my mother is solely my fault. I should have stood up to her long before I did. I should've protected you. Maybe if I stood up sooner, our child would be here now. I wasn't there for you when we lost him. I'm so sorry Achara. It must have been so hard for you."

"It was. I mourned for him back then and there are times when I wonder how he would've looked and when I do the sorrow threatens to overtake me, but then I look at Phana and his love saves me."

"Although it hurt at the time, I'm glad you have him. He's a good man Achara. You deserve the best and I'm glad you found it in Phana. I wish you every happiness."

"And to you as well. I can tell the difference in you Kong. I believe the love you share with Arthit is the reason. I pray your life with him is what you truly want."

"It is. With him I feel complete. He is my missing puzzle piece. Our love gives me the courage to walk again."

Achara hugged Kongpob and kissed him softly on his cheek.

"You'll always hold a special place in my heart Kong. Be well."

"And you will always be my first love Achara. Phana loves you. Be happy. Love him well."

Achara walked away from Kongpob but she stopped when he called her name. She turned to see what he wanted.

"Achara!"

"Yes Kong?"

"Invite me to your wedding. Will you?"

"Of course. Phana will need a best man. You just make sure you reciprocate. And Kong?"

"Yes."

"Make sure you work hard so you can stand with Phana at the altar. Okay?"

"I promise."

"See you soon Kong."

Kongpob watched her walk away until she disappeared inside the hospital. Just as he turned around to watch the stars outside his mobile phone sounded.

"Mother?"

"Kong. I'm in your room and you're not here. Where are you?"

"I'm outside at the fountain in the hospital garden. Why don't you join me?"