Chapter Twenty

Achara's eyes fluttered as the morning sun peeked its way through the window of the bedroom. She stretched and yawned reaching out to her left to feel his warmth. That side of the bed was cold. Sitting up she saw that she was alone in the room. Achara put on her robe and walked into the living room. She smiled as she saw him standing on the balcony lost in thought. Giving him a back hug melting into his warmth, he placed his hands on hers at his waist.

"You weren't there when I woke up. How long have you been standing here?"

"Couldn't sleep. I didn't want to disturb you, so I came out here to think."

"What are thinking about?"

"Kong."

Achara sighed and hugged him tighter.

"Phana I thought we weren't going to talk about him anymore."

"I know, but the way we left things in Chiang Mai..."

She pulled away from the hug and turned to walk back into the condo. Phana reached for her hand and pulled her back to face him. He hugged her rubbing her back to ease her discomfort.

"I can't Phana. The memories are just too much for me. I'm doing my best to move on."

"From him?"

"From Kong, the baby. Everything. It's just so hard."

"I know Achara. I know. I was brazened about wanting you and I didn't give a damn about his feelings. He was my best friend and now we're nothing."

Achara looked at Phana with tears in her eyes.

"If there's anyone who understands how you feel it's me Phana. We're both hurt and we both miss him, but for different reasons."

"Are you still in love with him?"

"No. After losing the baby, a lot of things became clearer to me. I now know that I was in love with someone who didn't exist. I created this version of Kong that wasn't real. He was as much a victim as I was. He wanted to please his mother and I wanted to satisfy my longing to be loved. Being with you I feel real love and it's not what I had with Kong. I love you Phana. I really do.

"I love you too Achara. I just miss my friend."

"I'm sure he misses you too. He just needs time. We all do."

"Aren't you angry with him?"

"I was. I was blinded by anger when he broke up with me, but after the baby I didn't have room in my heart for anything other than sadness for the baby we lost. We both lost something priceless that day and we were both hurt. I didn't have it in me to be angry anymore."

"So, you're forgiven him?"

"Let's just say I've forgiven myself. You need to do the same Phana. Yes. Kong is hurt and he feels betrayed, but if he loves that man the way you say he does, then love will heal his anger like it's healed mine."

"About the baby. We still don't know who's it was."

"I don't know that it matters at this point. We're all grieving, and it won't do any of us any good to bring it up now."

"I must have saved an entire nation in a former life to deserve someone like you."

Phana placed a gentle kiss on Achara's lips and pulled her into him. He inhaled her heavenly scent and smiled.

Madame Suthiluck was impatiently waiting in her dining room for her soon to arrive. Her well-manicured nails were anxiously tapping the table. She called out to her house helper.

"Yes Madame?"

"Has my son called the house?"

"No Madame."

"Very well. If the Mohammed won't come to the mountain, then the mountain will come to Mohammed. Have Arnault bring the car around."

"Yes Madame."

Madame Suthiluck approached her son's condo knocking on the door. When no one answered she placed a call to her mobile phone.

"The caller you have reached is unavailable."

She tried several more times with the same result. Her eyebrows knotted as she became increasingly more concerned.

"What could be happening?"

The car stopped abruptly jostling its passenger in the backseat.

"What the hell is going on? What is wrong with you?"

"Apologies Master. There appears to be some sort of disturbance at the gate sir."

"What? Pull closer."

The car pulled up the gate and was stopped by the police.

"You can't enter. This is an ongoing crime scene and a police investigation." The officer tried to wave off the car when Master Tanawat exited the car and approached the officer.

"This is my home. Where is your superior? I demand to see him now!"

The officer placed a call on his radio.

"He'll be right here sir. One moment."

Minutes later a man appeared to speak with Master Tanawat.

"You're Master Tanawat?"

"Yes. What in the hell is going on here?"

"Sir come with me."

The both got back in the car and drove to the entrance of the manor. As they exited the car Master Tanawat's mouth was agape at was he saw upon entering his home. There were officers and crime scene investigators everywhere. There was blood all over the floor of the hallway and what appeared to be a body covered with a white sheet.

"What the hell happened here?"

"Master Tanawat there was a skirmish involving your son and his former lover Arthit Rojnapat."

"Mike? Where is he? Is he okay? Can I talk to him?"

"Master Tanawat I am sorry to inform you that your son was killed during a standoff with police."

Tanawat scanned the scene his eyes landing on the white sheet. He shoved the officers as he barreled his way towards it. Officers tried to restrain him but failed as he tore at the sheet. Seeing his son's mangled head, he screamed in agony and fell to his knees. He cradled his son's body blood seeping into his own clothes tears streaming down his face.

"Where is Arthit Rojnapat? That bastard has to pay."

"He was brutally beaten by your son and shot when your son took aim at a third party. Your son then took his own life."

Tanawat looked at the senior officer and squeezed his eyes shut.

"He shot himself?"

"Yes."

He releases his son. An officer stepped forward and replaced the sheet over Mike and helped Tanawat stand. He walked in a zombie like fashion to Mike's room and sat on his bed. His eyes fell upon a picture of he and his sons as children. He picked up the picture and gazed at it. He caressed the picture with his thumb.

"I was so wrong. So very wrong. I'm sorry Mike...John. I've wronged you both."

He held the picture to his heart rocking back and forth while his tears rained from eyes.