Chapter Twenty-Three

"Mother."

"Kong? What are you doing here?"

Madame Suthiluck called out to Kongpob from the greenhouse. She had been silently crying while tending her orchids. She was thinking of John and Mike. She wanted to tell Kongpob about his brothers and his real father, but she didn't know how to do it.

"Mom. I need your help."

"Of course. Here. Have a seat."

Madame Suthiluck cleared a space on a bench in the greenhouse and held Kongpob's hand.

"Mom. I have never asked anything of you but to live my life independently. You have always allowed that and except for my engagement to Achara you have supported all my decisions. I need your help now."

"Kong my help is always available to you. What do you need son?"

"There is someone who needs a heart transplant, but he has a rare blood type that makes procuring a heart difficult. Is there anything we can do? Is there someone at a hospital we can contact?"

"Kong. Who is this person? Is it someone I know?"

"No mother. You don't know him. I was planning to introduce him to you, but tragedy struck." Kongpob's voice hitched and tears came to his eyes. "I love this man with all my heart. He is my life and without him I would die. Please mother. You must help me. I will ask nothing else of you if you can just grant this one request. Please."

The last word was said in a whisper. He got on his knees and laid his head on his mother's hands. She bent down and lifted her son's head.

"Is this the person you wanted me to meet the night Phana brought you home?"

"Yes. His name is Arthit Rojnapat and I love him. I wanted him to meet you because I want to marry him. Please help me."

His cries gave way to sobbing. As Madame Suthiluck connected the dots in her head, she realized that Arthit was the man Mike tried to kill and was once involved with. Her face was horror-stricken.

"Oh my God!" She stood up and started pacing. "Kong. I can't help you, but I know someone who can. I need to go. I'll be in touch."

"Where are you going?"

"To set something right. After I get back, we need to talk Kong. There are things you need to know.

Without giving any thought to her appearance Madame Suthiluck rushed to the garage and searched for car keys.

"Madame. Please allow me to drive you." Arnault was following behind Madame Suthiluck trying to convince her, but she ignored him and drove off.

Kongpob appeared in the garage minutes afterwards and was surprised to see Arnault waxing another car.

"Where is my mother?"

"She just took off. I tried to drive her, but she ignored me and drove off. She appeared upset. Is there something wrong Young Master?"

"I don't know. Which way did she go? Did she say where she was going?"

"No, but if you leave now, you can probably catch her. She was headed north from the gate."

"Thanks, Arnault."

Kongpob jumped in his car and sped down the drive to follow his mother. After a couple of minutes, he saw her car and tailed her. After a while he followed her to the Tanawat Manor. He was confused to see her approaching the house.

"What is she doing here?"

There was no one at the guardhouse and the gate was opened. Having been through the security the last time he was here Kongpob was deeply concerned. The house was dark except for a light on the first floor. He parked his car at some distance from the front drive so his mother wouldn't see him. She entered the house and Kongpob waited a moment to follow. He knocked on the door and got no answer. Although he was sure the door was locked, he was surprised to find that it was unlocked.

Turning the knob, he entered quietly and gently closed the door. The entire area was dark except for a light coming from around a corner. He heard voices coming from that direction but could not make out what they were saying. He crept towards the voices and recognized his mother's voice.

"Anton our son needs your help."

"Our son is dead. Now leave."

"I'm talking about Kongpob."

Master Tanawat approached her with a concerned look.

"Has something happened to Kongpob?"

"Not him, but someone he loves."

"For you to be concerned this person must be something special. Otherwise you wouldn't care. What is she? Some sort of princess or an heiress of some type?"

"No. And it is not a woman, but a man."

"What? How unlucky I am to have two gay sons? John could be married with many children, but we wouldn't know that would we? We don't know even know where our oldest son is."

"There is not a day that goes by that I don't think about him. My heart cries out for my children. I realize now that I have done wrong by them. Mike is gone and it's too late, but I can still help Kongpob to be happy. Help me do right by our son Anton. He needs us."

"What is it he needs?"

"His lover is in the hospital and he is in need of a heart transplant."

"Why do you care?"

"Because it was Mike who put him there."

Kongpob was speechless hearing the exchange between his mother and Master Tanawat. He couldn't believe that the psycho who tried to kill Arthit was his brother. He didn't know what to think. He lost his composure and burst into the room.

"MOTHER! IS THIS MAN MY REAL FATHER? How could you have kept this from me? The bastard that tried to kill me and put Arthit in the hospital is my...br-brother? What kind of madness is this?"

Madame Suthiluck looked back and forth between Kongpob and Master Tanawat. She didn't know what to do. She ran to Kongpob and knelt before him.

"Kong. Listen to me. I was going to tell you everything the minute I returned. Don't hate me. Please. I will make this up to you. I will help Arthit. Your father and I will find a heart for Arthit. Just don't be mad."

"How could you keep this from me? My entire life was a lie. And you." He turned towards Master Tanawat. "How could let another man raise me as his own? Did I mean nothing to you?"

"Son. Your mother didn't allow me to be a part of your life. She warned me to stay away. Your mother is no angel boy. Go ahead Martine. Tell him EVERYTHING you've done. Tell him how you killed his child. Your grandchild."

Kongpob looked at his mother with tears in his eyes.

"What did you have to do with Achara's accident? What did you do mother?"

Tanawat spoke before Madame Suthiluck could respond.

"Your mother came to me and said you were entangled with a gold-digging whore who just wanted you for your money. She asked me to arrange for an accident that would get rid of her. So, I did. The accident didn't quite turn out like she wanted, but she ended up getting rid of the baby, which was that woman's only real tie to you."

"Mother. How could you? I was only marrying Achara to please you. I was trying to do what was expected of me by you...by everyone. I-I can't be-believe you killed your own...my baby...my son. I could have had a SON! I hate you! Don't do anything for me. I can't live with what you've done. I'm the son of a murderer and an abusive bastard. I can't."

Kongpob rushed from the room and ran from the house. He jumped in his car and sped off. His mind was a jumble of thoughts. He saw his childhood. He remembered the times with his father, or the man he thought was his father. He cried furiously as his careened down the street.

Without paying any attention to the traffic Kongpob's car ran through a red light. He looked up in horror as he felt the impact of the truck hit the side of his car on the driver's side.