Chapter 1: Part 1: How To Be A Failure 101

I am so sorry, I just got so excited and couldn't wait to share the first chapter. But like, aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I'm so happy! The next chapter should be up in two weeks when I was SUPPOSED to publish the first chapter. But after that, it should be a week to week post.

aaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

The crack of a scream jumps out my throat. Cold winds spin my body out of control and swirls of blue, green, and grey blur my vision. I fight to try and regain control of my limbs as fresh hot panic washes through my veins. My heart clashes against my chest, wanting to burst out of my body and fall into the lake below.

Another sudden gust of wind pushes against my back and I use it to my advantage to flip myself onto my stomach. My limbs spread into a star, trying to slow my rapid descend towards the ground, but the lake is coming in fast. The ripples of turquoise water reflect the sunlight above and into my eyes.

Talons wrap around my midsection and lift me right before I hit the water. My toes drag against the warm lake. Red and white wings flap on either side of me and before I know it, I'm looking over plush white clouds.

"If you would have stopped flailing like a fish on land, it would have been easier to catch you." Rima's voice sounds in my head as her jaws loosen around me enough to let me crawl up her side and strap myself back into the leather saddle. She's snickering rather than scolding.

As usual, my comebacks strike poor. "The term is fish out of water, dragon." I sneer. Her voice is a tad bit deeper than it was a year ago and we both have not matured in the least bit.

"Stop calling me dragon, human."

"Stop calling me human."

"Again?" She asks, glancing at the school grounds below me. Spots of gray stone peek through the breaks in the clouds.

"Again." Internally, I grin and shift in my spot. A flush of disapproval comes through the bond and my lips purse. "Yeah, yeah, I know. Last one and then I go back to class. No more excuses."

Her purr rumbles deep within her chest and my hand goes to her side, patting the hot scales in mock comfort. "It's okay, dragon, I will be back in a few hours. Lay under your tree while I'm gone."

Her body angles to one side so fast, I yelp and grab onto her entire body even if my harness keeps me from falling. Satisfaction rolls through my body like waves and when I apologize, she levels and tucks her wings to her chest, diving for the ground.

With a grin, we fly into the clouds where drops of moisture collect on my goggles but I don't wipe them away. Once the school is back into view, my finger work on instincts, unstrapping me from my harness. The wind catches me and I fly off Rima's back with a cackle of laughter.

Rima's roar carries through the air. From a top view of my dragon, I only see the bright red colors of her scales instead of the cream-white underneath. Her wings flare outward, catching the air and pulling her above me. Then she adjusts her wings so that she loops around me like a spiral.

My gaze stays firmly on the school below and dread creeps up my spine as I think about going back. But I push the thoughts from my mind and focus on the wind rushing against my face and the freedom it contains.

Rima eases towards my stomach, squinting at the ground with her large head that tapered to a gentle point. She comes too close, nearly inches from me but it's on purpose and I wobble. I toss my head back and laugh before shoving her away from me. But she is a dragon, almost double my size and doesn't budge at my pathetic attempt for personal space.