Double Dealing

Hey, lovelies. I hope you all are having a wonderful day, or if not, I hope reading will make it better. I love you all for reading my book and would very much appreciate you if you could vote on my chapters.

I was writing the third book to this at work the other day and JUST finished an entire 8-paged chapter when my fucking computer shuts off. It didn't save squat and I... I just had to take a moment and mentally scream to myself. Needless to say, Google Drives hadn't had time to save my fucking chapter so now I gotta go back and rewrite it. :))))))))))))))))))

I mean it's not like I was going to rewrite it three times anyway, but you know. Aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Also, if you want (Gemini mood swing coming at ya) who is your favorite character? I still have a couple characters to introduce, but want to know who's your favorite. Or, just tell me your favorite part of the book so far, or how your day's going. : )

Enjoy

 Despite yesterday, the sky is blue with clear skies and gentle breeze. I squint to watch the long, air brushed clouds roll through. This city is thriving with mages old and young, at ease and breathing. None of them know what happened in Vakeya. How the dead ran like rabid animals. They don't know that someone died yesterday and their dragon followed. It makes me wonder how many cities this is happening to. Vakeya can't be the first or the last.

Fire kills them, Holland told us later. He had checked on Easton and I after Cedric dismissed us to our dorms. We were both given the option of taking the day off but purebloods are bred for war and accepting the Headmaster's request would have seemed weak. That very same day we participated in one of Ekon's training exercises.

Rima sighs heavily, shifting slightly in her slumber. I still and wait for her to stop moving before carefully laying down on the grass and lift off of her side. She needs all the sleep she can get, having flown here this morning and staying up all night when I couldn't sleep. Her tail and legs twitch occasionally.

Silently, with my hands on my stomach, I bathe in the light. After yesterday, unable to see the oncoming horde of undead charging us, darkness is the last thing I want to experience. I shift and settle for counting Rima's breathing. It helps distract me from the tomb and Alyran and his dragon. I can't bring myself to close my eyes, afraid of seeing Alyran's battered face again.

Mage students pass like cats on the sidewalk. They watch the sleeping dragon warily, passing her on silent steps. None of them have the guts to wake her or risk angering her rider.

"So this is where you spend your time."

Anger swells in my chest but I refuse to look at the speaker, instead, I stare at the sky with great boredom. "Come to scold me, Mother?" My sneer sounds less like a question and more of a statement.

Rima's eyes fly open and her head raises, hissing at the woman in the courtyard. Her tail curls around me protectively and she schooches closer.

"I thought about it," she says cooly. "But chose otherwise. Yesterday mustn't have been easy."

The hand opposite of my mother picks off the ends of the grass, but I am not surprised that she would know this. I also wouldn't doubt that she knew about Vakeya before Father or Clarika did. It what makes her so good with politics. She knows everything about everyone and everything and chooses to use words as weapons instead of her flames or a sword.

My glare only deepens. I angle my head, looking at her sidelong.

She looks regal as ever with her hands clasped in front of her, back straight like the brown hair that falls to her chin. Her white dress hugs her long and lanky figure. High cheekbones emphasize the well bone structure handed down to my sister and hardens her face like daggers. It makes her glares seem more fierce.