Chapter 22: Espresso More Like Depresso

Does anyone have any comments or concerns about the book? I'd love to hear it, especially since I'm trying to get my book published and your advice would be super helpful and most welcomed.  

As always, enjoy and please vote for the chapter. :)

The storm set in after Rima landed, adding another endless layer of snow to the ground. While I went into the dorms, she took shelter in the igloo I made her. It's hidden in the depths of the forest, giving her protection from the elements as well as privacy from the other dragons.

She's a very antisocial dragon.

I walk through the halls, eyes heavy and famished. Every day is the same. I wake up and run with Holland through the park and down the winding neighborhoods where there are less glaring eyes. There's a three-hour break in between the run and arena fighting that Holland lets me have to myself. Then, I'm in the arena for another four hours with Rima and the other dragons who are now permitted to be with us. Clarika doesn't usually show up for the "honor" training or arena practices, too busy doing her duties in helping to stop The Darkening. I don't mind it like Rima does.

Two days have gone by and I still haven't told anyone about my panic attack. And with Rima always in my head, she sees that I take full advantage of Clarika being away. She still insists that I can tell Holland or Riveta or Galeur and Thorn about what happened, but worrying them more is the last thing I want to do. And I refuse to be around Easton who still has yet to speak to me. So I wait for a good moment to have Clarika to myself, and I'm in no rush for that moment to arrive.

I go to the kitchen, glad for how empty the dorm halls are tonight. Outside the small line of windows is total darkness. The only thing I see are the thick flecks of snow falling from the sky, lit by the yellow lights inside.

Do I even want to eat? I think, cranking out my neck. My stomach rumbles in answer, but the solitude of my dorm room and the privacy it provides is almost enough to turn me away. I barely have any time to myself anymore but I know I have to eat.

I'll eat in my room, I decide, knowing that at least in my room people won't bother to insult me there.

Voices carry through the air from the kitchen and I slump over, rubbing my face. I know the voices of my teammates and I remember them doing nothing while Renora hurt me. I start to turn back, feeling too far from my bed...

"-There are too many mages here, it makes my skin crawl," Valerie says, her voice dripping with disdain.

I stop, ears honing in on the conversation.

Ekon let's out a low, bitter chuckle. "They're just so cold and brutal. They don't have emotions for anyone, even their own kind. It-- it's weird. How can somebody live like that?"

"They must all be messed up in the head, some kind of mental illness or deficiency or something. I can't imagine that anybody would ever choose to live like that," says Valerie. "I thought Norah was kinda different but when she got around them she was just like them. Easton, you know Norah better than anybody, is she really like that?"

My heart pounds with adrenaline, hands clammy. I turn to the wall, stalking up to the very edge of the arched doorway that leads into the kitchen. Though I've learned many things over the years, I suppress my doubts and tell myself that Easton would never agree with them. He'd defend me if I weren't around.

There's a brief pause of either hesitation or consideration. "I thought she was different, but after that whole arena thing I'm not so sure," Easton says. "She's always been a little distant and reserved for a dragon rider, but I thought she was just shy. But after the arena -- all the broken bones and blood she caused, I'm not so sure anymore. You can never trust a mage."