Important Note: He Ain't Happy

Hey guys! I'm so sorry for the meme, I'm not good at creating them but I thought they would be a funny addition to the weekly chapters. So, with that said, I could use your help with creating memes. Please send me whatever you want(one of my friends is making fan art) and I'll post some of them in each chapter, giving credit of course.

Sorry ahead of time for any grammatical errors, I've been so tired lately and my proofreading may not bee the best.

Love and appreciate you all! Let me know what you think of the chapter.

Enjoy. : )

"What in the hells were you thinking?" Holland yells. Icy eyes, the color of my father's, burn into me. It makes me turn away, twisting my lips and folding my arms. When I don't say anything, they narrow. "Do you know how worried I was to have someone knocking on my door at one in the morning and say that you were in trouble?"

    My jaw clenches. Worried. Anger flares in my chest and I can't bite back my words any longer. "Are you worried that people will question your ability to keep me in line? That you would lose the only insider you have in the mages?"

    His brows furrow, "What are you talking about?"

    "Come on, Holland," I scoff, still fuming over my mother. No one wants you unless they need something, the words sound like my mother's. "I haven't figured out your angle yet, but there's only one reason to tolerate me. And that is to further your own goals. I broke into that place to figure out what everyone is hiding from me."

"Have you lost your ever-loving mind?" Holland explodes, "Do I seem like the kind of person who does things they don't want to do?"

"I don't know, maybe," I huffed. I must have sounded like a five-year-old throwing a tantrum, "Maybe you want to manipulate me. I can't even trust my own family, how am I supposed to trust anyone else?"

Holland sighs, closing his eyes for a long moment. "Norah, you got dealt a crappy hand in life, but you're being a baby." I opened my mouth to refute but Holland sent me one of his famed icy glares. "Your mom might share your blood, but she is not your family. The people that truly care for you--which may include Riveta and I--are your true family. If you keep letting those crappy people dictate all your relationships, you're letting them win."

My tongue glides across my teeth, shifting in my spot. I wanted to be stubborn and not let his words get to me. But they already had.

"And," he adds, "out of all my years of teaching, I have never invited a student into my home, let alone live in it."

"I'm not living in your house," I say matter-of-factly.

"You're sleeping on my couch."

I send him a sneering smile. "Actually, it's Riveta's couch. She made that very clear to me the other day. Saying she spent hours in the store while you just sat at a table and glared at everyone who looked at her wrong... and complained the entire time."

"That's true." Finally, she speaks, making Holland and I both spin to look at her sitting on the very same couch. She sat there quietly throughout the entire conversation, not intervening in our conversation until now. Riveta wasn't one to get in drama so Holland took that role.

Holland sighs, exasperated. "Riveta, I am just trying to instill some trust into this kid."

I'm not a kid, I pout in my head.

    She only nods in agreement and shifts on her couch. Her eyes move to me, growing in worry and curiosity. I suppress the urge to narrow my eyes at her. "Norah, what did your family do to you?" Riveta didn't say it but I knew what she meant. What did they do to you this time?