Chapter 32: Sass Afras

I'm so fucking hyped to post the next chapter! I won't spoil anything, but I'm really, really excited about it. Leave any theories you guys might have in the comments or if you enjoy the chapter, please, consider voting for it.

Our plan failed.

    The miles between cities were too few and too close to even think about screaming for Rima. No matter where we looked, raider cities had their ballistas aimed at the sky, always ready. Always watching. And with tracking dragons following close behind our cages, Rima never made an appearance to show herself. Not when being seen would draw the attention of every nearby city.

The wheels spin beneath us, keeping our journey between cities smooth save for the ditches the black dragons pass over. Easton hasn't taken his eyes off them since we left the city, his face twisting with something along the lines of sorrow. It's hard for any dragon rider to see another dragon chained and abused but for a pureblood who grew up knowing these creatures as family... It hits the heart differently.

    Our ride was silent when Clarika and Holland weren't trying to come up with new ways to free us. It gave me time to think - which isn't always the best thing. Adam and I kept quiet for most of the trip, until he wrapped his arms around him and nestled into the far corner of the cage. I couldn't blame him, not when the night brought freezing winds and numb fingers. Everyone seemed to have a tolerance to it, especially the dragon riders whose winters are far worse than this. But Clarika gave me a slight nod from her side of the cage, curled in on herself with lips just as blue as mine.

    She wasn't the only one to notice though, and while I stayed crammed in my corner, Holland tugged on the chain linking us together. He glanced around the cage, finding that Adam and Clarika had fallen asleep and raised his arm. I happily slipped under as quietly as my chains would let me, and curled against him, disregarding the even ash and blood still stuck to him -- to all of us.

    A pink dawn had started to push away the darkness by the time we rolled into the coastal city. It wouldn't have taken us so long to reach the city if our captors hadn't paraded us through every street in every city, ringing a bell and shouting.

Across the cage, Clarika gave one look at the cramped buildings and narrow streets that reeked of ale, fish, and urine and sighed. The raiders that courted us through the cities shouted to every thief and murderer around, dragging them from their Inn's and alleyways loud enough to startle Easton out of sleep. His muscles were taut, eyes sharp and darting from side to side. Ready to fight.

    He sighed, gave Clarika a once over then Adam, who was still pressed into the corner of the cage and passed out. He then looked at Holland and I. Out from under Holland's arm, I watched the raiders following close by, listening to the raiders list of us by name and ability. No mention of my curse. Bad for business. 

    "So," Easton says, still watching the black dragons with their twisted and broken wings. He glances at my sister in question. "I'm still waiting for the Crimson parents to come in to rescue you."

    Clarika doesn't look away from the raiders beside us. "They don't suspect anything," she mutters. "As far as they're concerned, I'm off in another city investigating matters related to The Darkening."

    Renora always taught us that the best lies are ones mixed with truth.

    Clarika lowers her eyes to me, seeing the silent question on my face. "I left them a note."

    That drags Holland out of his daze. His eyes narrow to slits on her, seeing two sides of the same coin. For once, her smile is genuine. A crescent of white that almost makes me want to chuckle. "Norah told me you weren't happy with her letter of leave."