Chapter 26: Adam and Norah

My store was shut down yesterday (In work at Starbucks). One of our coworkers came into contact with someone with the Coronavirus and they were showing symptoms, so we shut down our store DURING MY SHIFT and I spent the rest of my shift bleaching the literal shit out of everything I could think of. I didn't mind, I like cleaning. But now, since I came into contact with the partner, I can't go into work until we get the partner's test results back. But now, I just spend my entire day just writing and worldbuilding and waiting for my college to start up again (since they shut down too).

It's been kind of hectic but as long as I got my coffee and computer and books, I'm good. Lol. And sorry about the late update.

TotallyNotADuck_ for commenting on a bunch of my chapters! I love hearing what you have to say so thank you for your great feedback and questions and humor.
CMama2012 thank you for voting for all my chapters! It's super motivating for me to keep writing and means so much that you like my story.

--

If you like the story, please consider giving it a vote for me. It helps let me know you want more : ) Enjoy

Water spread for miles, reaching the end of the horizon in a blue so dark I understand why they named it the Black Sea. The sun's light dances over the water, straining and blinding my tired eye while its rays heat my dark hair until I have to use my ice to cool down. I spread my abilities toward Rima, trying to cool her blistering scales.

Adam clings to me, a sweaty hand on my waist. He's been marveling at our surroundings for hours now, ever since we left Khalier. Rima and I don't share his bottomless enthusiasm for sea dragons or island-sized turtles and consider dropping him in the water. But the air mage does have his uses.

Strong currents of air run beneath Rima's wings, supplying her with enough air to glide hundreds of feet over the sea without so much as a full beat of her wings. Strangely it made me think of the islands and everyone that awaited back there.

My heart lurched, and a steady flow of panic seeped into my veins.

Though I can only see the top of her head, I feel my dragon's attention shift to me. I make a quick note to suppress the feelings, burying them in the darkest places inside of me. But knowing that Holland's lecture awaited me, and the glares, the whispers, the threats to my existence, and the guilt I'd feel...

I hadn't realized my hands had become slick with sweat until I dug my nails into the saddle and they slipped. I tried to draw my focus to a the mission at hand and of Adam's annoying presence looming behind me.

    "Norah!"

    I glare at the horizon, inhaling a silent, shaky breath. Rima warns me that we can't murder him over the water, even if we've considered it more than a few times this morning.

    "Norah." He nudges me harder and I look back, pinning Adam with a stare. But the air mage doesn't seem to notice my silent command to shut up, and points to something out in the distance. His eyes shimmer with excitement, with joy.

    My gaze lingers on him for a moment before tearing it away to whatever is in the distance. I squint, trying to make out the blurry figure. "Rima." Gently, I pat her side. "Will you look at that for me? I have human eyes."

    She's too exhausted to snort or feel any kind of amusement when her wings feel cramped and sore. But she does as I ask and looks off into the distance, staying silent for a while until a hammer of relief and glee pound through the bond.