Chapter 28: An Odd Party

Rima hadn't been happy to wake up to ice shocking her. She had jolted, ready to snap me in two when Galeur had growled at her. Then she was the one being yelled at, though I couldn't quite hear what the two were saying. But Rima had accepted the scolding as I had and while Holland chided her for listening to me, we flew back through the storm and found my sister and the others in the Inn Holland had talked about.

I slid into the booth beside her, with Adam squished against the wall. I set down my backpack between us, zipping up the big pocket again. It's soaked on the outside but built to keep the contents inside completely dry. It thuds on the seat, heavier than normal with all the books and maps and food.

Holland sits beside Easton, the two keeping more than a respectable distance from each other. Clarika's blue eyes rove over me from head-to-toe. Her lips purse slightly at my wet hair, the only sign of her disapproval for not using my abilities to dry off. I barely glance at her dry, frizzy hair that she tries to pat down to tame.

Holland studies Adam for a long moment who shifts uncomfortably at his stare. He raises his brows at me. Go. Ask your questions.

I inhale, hands folded neatly in my lap. "Adam. How are you?"

"Awkward."

Easton rolls his eyes, arms crossed over his chest.

I glance at him, frowning before turning back to the air mage. I debate about whether or not being blunt will be the right move. But my body feels heavy and sore, so I say, "Have you ever talked to my mother?"

He grimaces, mimicking Easton. "No, she's mean."

"She's never talked to you?"

"No."

Of course, my sister picks up on the questions and scoffs. "Adam isn't the type of person our mother would pick to be a spy, Norah." She rakes her eyes over him, weighing. Judging. "Definitely, not."

"Well watching Rima and I from behind a bunch of pillars, every single day is pretty sketchy."

"What?" Adam laughs nervously, his eyes darting around the table. "I told you, I like watching Rima fly."

"Then why hide?" Clarika presses, leaning back to fold her arms. She raises a brow at Adam, her expression falling impassive. But her eyes sparkle with the gossip and I have no doubt in knowing that she's safely tucking away the information to use later on.

A mage till the end.

"Because it's a dragon!" Adam straightens, throwing out his arms. "Who in their right mind would get close to a dragon? Especially a mage. Wait?" He cocks his head, pieces starting to click together. His eyes widen. "Is that why you asked me about your mother? No! I'm not a spy, I would never work for such a bully."

As subtly as possible, I glance at Holland. He does the same and says, "He's telling the truth."

"Thank you. Yeah." Adam leans forward, peering around my sister. She narrows her eyes at Holland, thinking. "I'm not lying."

I shrug, a tang of guilt creeping up my spine. "Okay."

"You were willing to take a spy instead of me?" Easton grimaces, his mouth twitching in distaste.

Clarika's expression darkens. "Don't look so hurt, little prince."

"Stop calling me that," he says hotly. "And Norah picked Adam over you-"

"Norah had her reasons for picking him." She examines her nails, the perfect image of collected and unbothered. "And when you break into my room in the middle of the night, I can call you whatever I want... little prince."